? Freezing Cake Covered In Fondant

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm by Sweet_Treats_1

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not one to freeze my cakes. I was asked recently if cakes that have been covered in fondant could be placed in the freezer. I don't really know the answer because I have never done it. Does someone out there know if this is something that can be done???? If so, what needs to be done to it when you defrost it?
Thanks [/b]

4 replies
Gibbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gibbo Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, i'm not certain but i would guess that the fondant would go a bit weird when it's defrosting, mainly because of the high sugar content.
Then again i think a lot of people do freeze a tier of their wedding cake so it could be fine :S
Dan

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

I have frozen two cakes with fondant( in a large box covered with plastic wrap and foil)...it does have a tendency to bleed once thawed...we thawed at room temp for several hours before serving...they still tasted great... most people did not notice the small imperfections...

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 5

I have done 2 cakes covered in fondant and 2 in bc that I froze for a week and all of them were delicious. I used mmf and a 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco bc. I have pics of 2 of them in my gallery (the crab cake and the treasure chest cake).
I didn't have any problems with colors bleeding or odd flavors and I didn't wrap them in anything, just let them open. You just have to be careful not to touch the fondant as it comes to room temp and dries. It gets tacky and wet looking, until it comes to room temp.
Sorry for the novel, HTH.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 5

I had a fondant covered TT cake frozen over the week-end and it was a disaster. It was Wilton fondant so I guess that is why.(Wilton in my opinion is CRAP) It was only frozen for maybe 1 to 2 hours and as it sat on the counter at room temperature one half of the cake fell off and the colors bleed like crazy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%