Where To Find Edible Gold?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 9:07am by Rylan

Rylan Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 8:14am
post #1 of 13

I'm making a cake for a good friend of mine in a few weeks. I wanted to add some gold details. I've use Airbrush gold mixed with gold and pearl dusts and I'm still not satisfied with the look.

I'm aiming for a real looking gold finish (maybe lighter). I wanted to use edible gold but I have no clue on where to find it. Can edible gold dust be dilluted and get a consistency of paint? Can I mix edible gold dusts with pearl dusts? What else can I use?

12 replies
myslady Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 13
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 13

There's another option too in Nic Lodge's book for a very convincing gold look.

combine:

2 teaspoons 10X sugar
2 teaspoons gold luster dust

Add:

drops of clear alcohol (gin or vodka or lemon extract)

to make a paste

then add:

1 teaspoon piping gel

a little at a time to reach piping consistency

It really looks like gold piping.

Other golden thoughts for you

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 13

But actually that stuff would be classified non-toxic not edible either.

tiggy2 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 13

This is very gold http://www . shopbakersnook . com/ Take out the spaces and search for gold glaze

Rylan Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for all the info. I'll be checking all them out after I post my reply. I'll also be trying the mixture suggested.

Kate, why is it non edible? Isn't piping gel, sugar and luster dusts (FDA approved) edible ? Or it won't be once it is combined?

matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 13

Try the goldleafcompany.com I have used 23K dust in the past. Looks great on chocolate. I dry brush the powder with a natural bristle brush. A little goes a long way. The leaf covers quite well. Don't like the silver as much. Always looks dirty.

Rylan Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Try the goldleafcompany.com I have used 23K dust in the past. Looks great on chocolate. I dry brush the powder with a natural bristle brush. A little goes a long way. The leaf covers quite well. Don't like the silver as much. Always looks dirty.

Their gold leaf are so cheap! Thanks for posting.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Thanks for all the info. I'll be checking all them out after I post my reply. I'll also be trying the mixture suggested.

Kate, why is it non edible? Isn't piping gel, sugar and luster dusts (FDA approved) edible ? Or it won't be once it is combined?

Luster dusts are non-toxic--the Wilton ones that kind suck are food safe. They probably suck not because they are Wilton but because they are food safe.

Check on any of your containers it says non-toxic on mine.

Like we should not be eating crayons but it's not gonna kill us-that type of non-toxic. So crayons are not exactly edible though.

But I think there is a line of good dusts that are edible--someone smart will chime in here on that--it's a new line of dusts.

Rylan Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 13

Yes Kate. I was reffering to the Crystal colors which are FDA approved. That is all I use so when I use the recipe you gave me then it can be labeled as completely edible right?

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 13

Yep sure would. Cool.

Hope the Crystal brand works as well in that formula as it does with the non-toxic stuff. The recipe was written before the Crystal stuff came out--the devil is in the details huh.

Rylan Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #12 of 13

Hehehe. Thanks again. I will definitely try it out once I get some piping gel. Thanks Kate!

Rylan Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:07am
post #13 of 13

Ah, I can't help but correct my grammar mistake. I meant I have "used" not use. Sorry, I have OCD when it comes to knowing my mistakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%