Q's About Darn Good Chocolate Cake Or Sturdy Choco Recipe??

Decorating By chikie Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm by adree313

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 10

For those of you who have tried the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe. Does it have a tight crumb? I'm looking for a choco cake thats not too moist and that will be easy to carve.

TIA
Tiffany

9 replies
adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #2 of 10

i know i'm always the minority when it comes to this, but i stand by it. in my experience it's just too darn hard to work with. it tastes wonderful but, i don't know if i always bake it wrong or what, it's really too moist for me to handle. yes, it is easier to work with frozen (or semi frozen) but it's just too much work/stress for me most of the time. i think the WASC chocolate version, is just as tasty and a lot easier to work with. but again, just my experience! icon_smile.gif i know many others will chime in and tell you the exact opposite lol.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:36am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i know i'm always the minority when it comes to this, but i stand by it. in my experience it's just too darn hard to work with. it tastes wonderful but, i don't know if i always bake it wrong or what, it's really too moist for me to handle. yes, it is easier to work with frozen (or semi frozen) but it's just too much work/stress for me most of the time. i think the WASC chocolate version, is just as tasty and a lot easier to work with. but again, just my experience! icon_smile.gif i know many others will chime in and tell you the exact opposite lol.

I will also go on a limb with this but I am asked for this flavor alot
1 box duncan hines devils food cake mix
1 box duncan hines brownie mix
1 cup sour cream
mix according to each box and add the 1 cup sour cream and put all in mixer and mix everything together and bake at 325
not too moist and not dry, carves easy HTH
Deborah

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 10

I really like the darn good chocolate cake but I don't think it is good for carving or very sturdy. Very moist though.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 10

tatorchip - your recipe sounds delicious. When you say 'mix according to each box' , do you mean follow all the ingredients - oil, water, eggs? And then add the additional sour cream.
It sounds so good I want to make it right now icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, I meant to say that the Darn Good Chocolate cake will carve fine when frozen. It's a very moist, dense cake but if you try to do it at room temperature it will be a bit too sticky.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

tatorchip - your recipe sounds delicious. When you say 'mix according to each box' , do you mean follow all the ingredients - oil, water, eggs? And then add the additional sour cream.
It sounds so good I want to make it right now icon_smile.gif

yes that is what I mean, follow instructions for each box and then add only 1 cup sour cream and mix all together in KA mixing bowl and bake
let me know what you think after you make it.

msulli10 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks tatorchip - cute name!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 10

So is this reciepe just hard to carve or is it hard to work with in general. I had a bride request it for her fondant covered stacked cake. Am I going to be in trouble? I receipe says something about eliminating an egg. Does that help?

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 10

to me it's just had to work with in general. mine always sink no matter how done they are.

honestly, though, most people swear by this recipe so you should probably just try it out for yourself and see how you like working with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%