Cake Board Idea

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm by cylstrial

d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 10

So...I was thinking about it today. I usually use the cheap cardboard cake boards, which work ok I guess.

So my thought was...why not go to say, home depot and have a 8in diamater by say 1/4in thick piece of wood cut....stain it, clear coat it. Use it for a cake board? VERY sturdy! Great to look at...should compliment most cakes, aside from colorful kids cakes. And, if you seal it right, you wont have to worry about cross contamination from the board, to the cake.

9 replies
Doug Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 10

but of course! (and think if you get ones of all kinds of different woods -- maple, oak, cherry, mahogany, ebony, etc. --- oh, dear this is going to bust the budget!)

and you should see IndyDebi's stump! -- yep a display board made from a slice of a stump!

----
the ONE major trick ---

must use FOOD GRADE polyurethane as the finish.

d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 10

Food grade finish huh...would have learned that one the hard way

mommyle Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #4 of 10

yes, and then you have to charge a deposit, and make sure that you get the darned thing back. UGH.

Doug Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #5 of 10

found the thread for IndyDebi's stand

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-641413-stand.html

how cool is that!

and note the trick to making it lighter

indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #6 of 10

Weigh the asthetics of such a board against the deposit and the work with getting them returned, unless you plan to just add a fee to cover the board and let them keep it.

I'd do it for larger cakes, but not for 8" or 10" cakes. Too much hassle for too little return.

Thanks for the thumbs-up on my tree stump stand, Doug! I made a groom's cake this weekend and used it for the first time! It's in my pics. I worried about the space, since it was a big stand and a small cake, but I set the cake to the side, splattered some leaves and petals from the florist to fill the space and I think it worked out well!

mommyle Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:52am
post #7 of 10

That is a gorgeous cake! And I admit that it is nice to have such a display, but I can't even rely on Brides to bring back the support system. I build it all into the price of the cake, so it's not a huge deal, cover in fondant, and it's done. I would LOVE to do something that nice, but ...

kseevers Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:11am
post #8 of 10

I have a few wood boards my husband cut out for me. I have covered them in fancy foil or fondant. I did one in a very pretty wrapping paper that tied into the cake theme. But the bottom layer on that cake was a dummy so I didn't have to worry about the food grade part.

They are very sturdy and you don't have to worry. I love them!

d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:32am
post #9 of 10

Yup yup...gonna have to look into this one

cylstrial Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 10

Sounds like a great idea. That's what I did for one of my cake stands. It was the top of a stool that I bought brand new from Lowes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%