Credit?? A Little Disheartened!! :(

Decorating By xkfayex Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 2:27am by adven68

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 37

i dont want to seem like a brat or seem like i deserve some kind of recognition, but i posted a cake (the geico money cake) and since have seen a few replicas. i dont need my name in lights but just wanted to ask everyone else..

does it bother you when someone takes your idea, and with that takes complete credit for the design and originality??

it would be flattering if i felt like they didnt act like there wasnt a middle man in their design.

i just feel a little disheartened, and maybe i shouldnt care, but it def bothered me a bit. thumbsdown.gif

36 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 37

It's nice if people give credit, but sometimes they forget where they saw it, etc.

Another thing to remember is that so many here are always thinking of ideas for cakes, so with this design, I think it is very possible that others had the same idea. icon_smile.gif

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 37

It's very possible that they came up with the idea from the commercials like you did. They are on TV all the time.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #4 of 37

I had the same thing happen the other day (although the person said someone brought her a pic but she didnt know where they got it so she tried to give credit) well I was soooo flattered that someone did a version of my cake I was giddy all day! Felt like a big dork but I was ecstatic! Now if someone was trying to take credit for my cake as their own idea I may not love that so much. I always try to give credit if I use someone's ideas because that is the right thing to do.

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 37

it was just a little shocking. i'm fairly new to all of this and everything i do means alot to me. i give credit when i use ideas, and although it is possible they got the idea from the commercials, i know i came on here a thousand and one time before i did it to see if there were other cakes to help me with my design and such. i'm always looking for help with cakes and tips on frostings and recipes. and as a "newbie" i guess i shouldnt let it bother me.

its the first time its happened so maybe its just the general shock.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 37

I googled that cake and here is a pic of one from 5/12/09, about 2 weeks before your pic went up. Is it possible people don't feel like that is 'your' design?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/02940.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D304695.0&usg=__vnVG6WCJSwx8o750-RmV8VIDXq0=&h=336&w=448&sz=23&hl=en&start=3&sig2=HAiXDIl7fX1IhJz2AJ6mcA&um=1&tbnid=bTCwzMv5ZY5yiM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGEICO%2BMONEY%2BCAKE%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=IhjASsumNYnytQP988Vq

I see that hers is smooth fondant on the edge, rather then the more realistic paper effect that you gave it (very cool effect, btw), but ultimately it's the same design. I agree and think people also either saw it online or on tv and came up with similar cakes.

Either way, the cake is great. icon_smile.gif

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 37

i made the cake nearly 9 months ago, my brother is a random creature and he actually wanted me to do the rubics cube cake from here but changed his mind. everyone takes credit for everything in their own way.
i didnt even become a member until just before i posted the first 7 or so cakes.

but i can honestly say i spent hours upon hours looking through cakes. and looked on several different sites google, flickr, and yahoo included to get ideas on how to make the money look realistic.

so in all fairness i can see where all of you are coming from. i just assumed you might feel the same way if it happened to you.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfayex

i made the cake nearly 9 months ago, my brother is a random creature and he actually wanted me to do the rubics cube cake from here but changed his mind. everyone takes credit for everything in their own way.
i didnt even become a member until just before i posted the first 7 or so cakes.

but i can honestly say i spent hours upon hours looking through cakes. and looked on several different sites google, flickr, and yahoo included to get ideas on how to make the money look realistic.

so in all fairness i can see where all of you are coming from. i just assumed you might feel the same way if it happened to you.

No, I do understand. I didn't realize you had published it on other sites prior to publishing it here.

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #9 of 37

thank you for the kind comments. i just wanted everyones opinion on how to feel.

i'm totally new to this so this being the first time, i didnt know how to react!

but thank you all for the opinions

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 37

feel flattered --

you're so good others want to be just like you!

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #11 of 37

I feel we all use this site to bounce ideas and such around...yes it is nice to get credit but more than likely the person you are giving credit to got their idea from another also...sometimes I use a mixture of different cakes for one...this site is like one big family....I love when I get credit but I usually have to go back and recredit it to another....and doesn't it all come down to the fact that you feel awesome with what you did along with the person you did it for? thumbs_up.gif Take care! Welcome!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #12 of 37

I have been discovering that my cakes are appearing in blogs, in other wedding sites, etal. So far, all have listed where they saw the cake, which is good. I've only discovered these by accident. (Decided to google my name, my biz name, just for the heck of it to see what came up .... found a number of my cakes "showcased" on other sites! Cool!)

But what I'm trying to share is that perhaps our cakes are being showcased on other sites, and we don't know it. And perhaps a decorator saw the cake on another site. And perhaps the decorator didn't know you were a CC'er. I google cake designs all the time for ideas. I try to keep track of where I found them, in my files, but this isn't always possible.

Just sharing some other options.

And to answer your question, am I upset if I dont' get credit? No. It's nice to receive it, but no, I don't get upset. I'm complimented that they wanted to duplicate my cake.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #13 of 37

I'm afraid I am not very artistic when it comes to thinking of designs myself and I get inspirations from seeing other peoples work. Most of my cakes are designs from someone elses ideas with my own take of it. We are all on here to share and it thrills me when people make comments on my cakes. Be proud that someone wanted to copy your design. That's an honour so don't be disheartened.Thank you everyone who has given me inspirations to produce my works of art (I think so lol) and xkfayex keep on caking. And we would love to see more of you.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #14 of 37

When I see a picture here on CC that I like and may want to use, I save it in my favorite photos. Then if I copy it, I go back to see who made the one I copied so I can give credit up-front when I post mine. Otherwise, I'd never remember who made the 'inspiration' cake.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #15 of 37

Take it as a form of flattery. I would be more concerned if they took the actual picture of your cake and then said it was their creation.

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Take it as a form of flattery. I would be more concerned if they took the actual picture of your cake and then said it was their creation.

very good point!!!

i feel a little better about it. it was just the initial shock. but only being 20 and only having done a few cakes it was actually more shocking to see that someone had used my cake as an example than the fact they took credit.. so that was the aftermath shock setting in.

the flattery is setting in. a little at a time

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:25am
post #17 of 37

If you post a cake anywhere online, then expect it to be used as inspiration for many other cakes.

BUT, in the case of the Geico money cake, how could your cake be the inspiration for others when that commercial is all over the television? Someone doesn't have to see your cake to get the idea to make a cake out of that popular icon. That would be like me making a designer purse cake and saying others had copied my design.

I actually thought about what a cute cake idea the Geico money thing would be before I EVER saw anyone post a cake like it. Does that mean my idea was taken?

Of course, I think everything can be made into a cake. If I see swirls on a piece of paper, I think cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:58am
post #18 of 37
Quote:

i dont want to seem like a brat or seem like i deserve some kind of recognition, but i posted a cake (the geico money cake) and since have seen a few replicas. i dont need my name in lights but just wanted to ask everyone else..

does it bother you when someone takes your idea, and with that takes complete credit for the design and originality??

it would be flattering if i felt like they didnt act like there wasnt a middle man in their design.

i just feel a little disheartened, and maybe i shouldnt care, but it def bothered me a bit. thumbsdown.gif

I would be flattered if someone used a cake design i createdicon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #19 of 37

You should definitely be flattered. The person thought that your cake was so great, they wanted to try to replicate it.

When I see something that I like on a cake, I always try to change it a bit to make it mine. And I always want to give credit to who made it.

I can easily understand how you would be upset if someone didn't give credit to you. =o)

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #20 of 37

Yeah, personally I don't think the design is yours even if you made it into cake before anyone else. You based it off a popular icon and of the other Geico money cakes I've seen, none used your same techniques. Basically, that doesn't make you the designer - it just made you first.

I could see feeling this way if you had made up an original design and saw it copied elsewhere, but not for something that everyone in the US has probably seen at least once and that someone else originally designed, albeit not in cake form.

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

If you post a cake anywhere online, then expect it to be used as inspiration for many other cakes.

BUT, in the case of the Geico money cake, how could your cake be the inspiration for others when that commercial is all over the television? Someone doesn't have to see your cake to get the idea to make a cake out of that popular icon. That would be like me making a designer purse cake and saying others had copied my design.

I actually thought about what a cute cake idea the Geico money thing would be before I EVER saw anyone post a cake like it. Does that mean my idea was taken?

Of course, I think everything can be made into a cake. If I see swirls on a piece of paper, I think cake! icon_biggrin.gif

does it change your mind at all that this particular person pm'd me asking how i made the cake??

theres a difference in thinking about it and actually doing it. being the first to do something is how people because known for what they do. i definitely would not have a problem with someone replicating a cake i had made. but in this particular case it was a little bit of a knife in the back and i would just think this person would have lent a little credit solely based on the fact she had to come to me and ask me how i did the cake.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 37

Well it seems you have your recognition now, so what's the problem?

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #23 of 37

its ethics. and tact.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #24 of 37

Well, frankly I have to question how tactful it was to post this in public instead of simply sending a private message to the person who you feel slighted you.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm
post #25 of 37

If the person came to you for help on how to do the cake, it would have been nice for them to recoginze mention your cake and help in the post. When you put the time and effort in to helping others it's nice to get a thanks, but that doesn't always happen, that's just part of life. It really wouldn't upset me that much, but if it did, I would pm the person to discuss it.

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #26 of 37

I use CC very often for tips and ideas for cakes, and while I try to give credit to those who inspired me, sometimes I forget or there are just too many to name. It would be one thing if someone had taken your actual photo and tried to credit it as their work (plagiarism) but to use your idea for inspiration and make their own version, that's the ultimate in reward (or at least it would be for me, whether I got credit or not, because you've inspired someone!). thumbs_up.gif

Additionally, like several others have said, its an instantly recognizable symbol, mascot, whatever you want to call it, and you were inspired by it. Geico inspired you, did you credit them? You would have to expect that other people have thought "that'd make a cool cake" or have already made a cake like that, even if they didn't post a picture of it on CC.

Also, I question how you couldn't have realized that the person who PM'd you wasn't going to attempt to make a version of the cake? Why else would they have asked for instructions? If it bothers you, either don't give out the instructions or ask that you be credited (though there's no guarantee you will be).

I'd just take it as a compliment and move on. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:37pm
post #27 of 37

When I first started out it irked me when someone copied my cake down to the T and did'nt give credit,but now I'm over it.
I've copied cakes and drawn inspiration from cakes, I give credit when I can and if I can't then I still make mention that it's a copy/replica/inspired by cake.
Now if I see my design done by someone else credit or no credit I take it as a compliment.
Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something right if someone wants to copy my work.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #28 of 37
Quote:

does it change your mind at all that this particular person pm'd me asking how i made the cake??

theres a difference in thinking about it and actually doing it. being the first to do something is how people because known for what they do. i definitely would not have a problem with someone replicating a cake i had made. but in this particular case it was a little bit of a knife in the back and i would just think this person would have lent a little credit solely based on the fact she had to come to me and ask me how i did the cake.

I thought about it and actually it doesn't. It is nice when a decorator gives someone else credit for help on a cake, but it is not required. In this case, you aren't asking for "help" credit. You are claiming design credit, which I just don't think you have for this cake. I agree with OMGitsaLisa...you can't take credit for this cake design. The design belongs to Geico, not you.

You claim that being first means you deserve some kind of credit. Well, I did a quick internet search and saw 3 other Geico money cakes. I don't think you were first and even if you were that doesn't mean the idea is yours alone. I just don't get this line of thinking. Again, the idea belongs to Geico.

I'll ask you a question too (the elephant in the room). Does your anger have anything to do with the fact that the other cake made it to the front page? You said, "a knife in the back". That is a bit harsh and I think it is unfair for you to react this way. Let's be honest here. The other decorator did a great job on her cake and it received a lot of attention. Your cake has too since this thread started. It's time to move on and let this go.

xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #29 of 37

i posted this just to get an opinion on how i should feel. i didnt think i would be attacked for asking an honest question. thank you for everyone who have given good advice.

like i've said over and over again i just felt a little underminded i guess. this is the FIRST time its happened and i found myself getting upset by it. but i have read what some of you have said and it made me realize that is not such a bad thing.

on the case of her asking how me how to do it. it was assumed that she would. and i have absolutely NO problem with someone asking for tips or even making a cake like mine even if its to-the-t exactly like mine. it was just a little bit of not getting the credit.

but now that i feel like i'm a terrible person for just asking i'm really wishing i never would have posted this.

so thank you to those who have helped. and i'm sorry to anyone else who feel like i've been rude in any way..

sorry icon_redface.gif

OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #30 of 37

You're not a horrible person for asking, but you DID ask for opinions. We just happen to disagree with your feelings and told you so. It's not a big deal. Happens all the time. No harm done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%