Real Vanilla Extract Or Clear Imitation?

Decorating By Kookie Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm by Lita829

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #1 of 22

I like to use real vanilla extract but also want white color frosting too.
I would like to hear how many people on CC site use imitation clear vanilla extract for frosting?
Do you guys like the taste?
Thanx.
Kookie

21 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 22

Imitation vanilla is horrible - tastes just like the name "imitation".

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 22

No, I never use the imitation it's disgusting in my opinion. I use either my own homemade vanilla or Madagascar vanilla.

I always tell my clients that my icing is not a pure bright white icing, however unless it's sitting on a bleached white tablecloth you really can't tell that it's slightly off white.

I'd rather compromise color for taste any day.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 22

I use Adam's ClearVan. I bought a gallon of it online. I really like the taste. Yes, I love real vanilla-- I'd much rather use it, but it's expensive!

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 22

I use both, but most of the time i use the clear imatation with a little almond flavoring and the frosting taste great so far i have not had any complaints on the taste.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #6 of 22

I use real vanilla but if I need really white frosting I use clear vanilla imitation and I add a tbp of almond extract to it and the combination makes a great tasting white frosting

Kookie Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 22

imitation clear vanilla extract and almond extract.
A Great tip!!
THANK YOU.

DropofLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DropofLove Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 22

I will only use REAL vanilla. Once you try it you won't go back! icon_smile.gif
I also make my own homemade extract.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

I use Adam's ClearVan. I bought a gallon of it online. I really like the taste. Yes, I love real vanilla-- I'd much rather use it, but it's expensive!

Awesome! I had no idea there was a good clear vanilla out there! Thanks for sharing!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 22

I use Wadkins double strenth clear vanilla.The good thing is it comes in 4 litre or in the US 1 gallon jugs which is great since I use alot for icings.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 22

Have any of you tried the Wilton clear vanilla? It's pretty good. On occasion, I will add either a little butter flavoring or almond flavoring to mine.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #12 of 22

I use both. If I need bright white icing, it is the clear imitation.

Just an FYI - several years ago COOKS ILLUSTRATED did a blind taste test with several high end pastry chefs with vanillas - the one that won was CVS brand imitation vanilla (and it won over several high end real vanillas)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I use both. If I need bright white icing, it is the clear imitation.

Just an FYI - several years ago COOKS ILLUSTRATED did a blind taste test with several high end pastry chefs with vanillas - the one that won was CVS brand imitation vanilla (and it won over several high end real vanillas)

But the imitation vanilla was only considered better for use in BAKED (or cooked) products only (because after being exposed to heat, the two became indistinguishable from each other). In something like icing, whipped cream, ice cream, etc, real vanilla was still found to have superior flavor.

I only real vanilla extract, beans or paste (and paste is my preference--you get the best of both beans and extract, but the flavor is SO rich. Obviously paste isn't suitable for a buttercream-only cake, because of the visible flecks, but for everything else it's my #1 choice).

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 22

I also use only real vanilla or vanilla bean paste...the flavor is definately superior to imitation vanilla. Maybe you could try Bright White to whiten the icing after adding the real vanilla.

HTH

Kookie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I also use only real vanilla or vanilla bean paste...the flavor is definately superior to imitation vanilla. Maybe you could try Bright White to whiten the icing after adding the real vanilla.

HTH

This is another great tip but hope it doesn't get any taste in the BC.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 22

Real vanilla or paste. My icing is butter based, so it's not snow-white anyway.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #17 of 22

Has anyone every used powdered vanilla? I saw it at the organic food store in town, and it's white so I thought maybe it would be better than imitation for white icing. Although I have to wonder how they got it white, especially at the "organic" store, hmmm.

Lita829 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

Quote:

HTH

I used it yesterday in a lemon cake that had a butter-based buttercream and lemon zest. It was my first time using Bright White but I didn't notice a difference in flavor. You only have to use a few drops to lighten the icing.

HTH

Kookie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HTH

I used it yesterday in a lemon cake that had a butter-based buttercream and lemon zest. It was my first time using Bright White but I didn't notice a difference in flavor. You only have to use a few drops to lighten the icing.

HTH

Hi Lita,
Thanks for a quick tip again.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HTH

HTH

Hi Lita,

I use the Bright White often in both BC and Fondant and have never noticed a change in the flavor.

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #21 of 22

I have used a Puerto Rican vanilla from Spicy Caribbee for years. I recently discovered they also have a clear Puerto Rican vanilla which I now use for my white icings. Great real vanilla and clear! If we are in San Juan, I pick some up, but unfortunately, usually order on-line at Spicycaribbee.com. The flavor is exceptional and I get compliments about the flavor of my baked goods all the time.

Lita829 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HTH

HTH

Hi Lita,

You're welcome! I'm happy I could help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%