Taste Of Icing

Decorating By chinikamcm Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 1:25am by chinikamcm

chinikamcm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinikamcm Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #1 of 3

I am doing a wedding cake for next weekend. I am in the process of making red roses. The problem is since I had to put so much red food coloring in the icing to reach the desired color, the tast of the icing is really distorted. How do I remedy this?

Thanks!

2 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 3

Wilton makes a "No Taste Red", but I'm not sure how much you'd need to use to get the colour of red you want. Probably lots, since red is hard to make anyway. But, I've heard that if you put a tiny drop of black into it, mix, then add the red, that helps to darken it, too.

Are you making the roses to be eaten out of BC, or from fondant? If it's fondant, since they'll be a git on the hard side, most won't eat it anyway, so I wouldn't worry. And GP is too hard to eat anyway.

chinikamcm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinikamcm Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Wilton makes a "No Taste Red", but I'm not sure how much you'd need to use to get the colour of red you want. Probably lots, since red is hard to make anyway. But, I've heard that if you put a tiny drop of black into it, mix, then add the red, that helps to darken it, too.

Are you making the roses to be eaten out of BC, or from fondant? If it's fondant, since they'll be a git on the hard side, most won't eat it anyway, so I wouldn't worry. And GP is too hard to eat anyway.

Thank you! I'm making them out of mm fondant. I'll just let them know in advance. The rest of the cake is great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%