What Am I Doing Wrong???

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm by ninatat

forheavenscake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 5

My cakes are coming out SO lopsided. . .well actually only one of them. I put two 9" pans in the oven and the one on the left always comes out even (tiny bit of doming, but not too much) but the one on the left comes out at a HUGE slope. . Like seriously, once I cut it down there is only a half inch of cake left.

I bang the cake pans on the counter before putting them in the oven and I tried, for the first time, putting damp towel strips around the outside edge of the cake. That seemed to keep the edges from really crusting, but it still domed really badly.

Do you think maybe my oven is lopsided or something?? LOL

I am so frustrated! Help!

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slparker

My cakes are coming out SO lopsided. . .well actually only one of them. I put two 9" pans in the oven and the one on the left always comes out even (tiny bit of doming, but not too much) but the one on the left comes out at a HUGE slope. . Like seriously, once I cut it down there is only a half inch of cake left.

I bang the cake pans on the counter before putting them in the oven and I tried, for the first time, putting damp towel strips around the outside edge of the cake. That seemed to keep the edges from really crusting, but it still domed really badly.

Do you think maybe my oven is lopsided or something?? LOL

I am so frustrated! Help!

Most likely your oven is not heating evenly....hotter on one side than the other....this is a common problem with a non-convection oven.

If your oven is gas, your burner jets may need to be blown out. If it is electric, you could have a bad element.

SugarFiend Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 5

Do you, by any chance, have an oven thermometer that hangs from the rack in there? I baked at least three only-one-layer-lopsided-out-of-two cakes before I figured out that I was setting one cake pan on top of my oven thermometer. icon_redface.gif

Loucinda Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #4 of 5

First, check the oven temp with an oven thermometer ( you can get them at walmart for a few buckx) To get less of a dome, lower the oven temp. - I never bake over 325 for cakes.

ninatat Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 5

can you tell if maybe you rack is a little bent on one side, or your oven a tad lower or maybe your pans seing how you bang them on the counter lol sorry i couldn't resist, icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%