Tell Me About The Small Wilton Leveler.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm by craftermom

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 27

Do you like it? Do you hate it?

I have one that I haven't used, and I've never used it because I thought I baked pretty level cakes myself without the need to cut them. However, the extremely critical eye in me noticed a slight unevenness in my most recent cake.

I've heard great things about the Agbay, but I just can't justify its cost at the moment.

So what do you think of the Wilton leveler?

26 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 27

Sorry - but I think its ONLY use is as a filler in your trashcan!!

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 27

I really like mine. It helps take the "hump" off the middle of a cake. The largest cake I've ever baked was a 10" and it worked great for that. It isn't large enough for big cakes, and I've heard that the large Wilton leveler isn't very good.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 27

The one with the wire? I think it's fine, I've never had a problem with it.

Of course, my Agbay beats it to a bloody pulp, but if you don't have the $$ and you don't need to level a large cake, I think it's worth it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 27

for simple small cakes it's just fine --

similar in action to the dental floss/fishing string method (those held taught and used to cut through cake -- or wrapped around cake and then pulled on both ends so they cut cake towards the center)

for big cakes or frozen cakes -- not good.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 27

The Wilton leveler is so inexpensive, less than $5.00 with a coupon at Michael's or JoAnn's. It works fine for me on small cakes and the larger one is OK for the price.

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 27

For the price and with a 40% off coupon at Michaels the small leveller is a tool I use all the time. I too cannot justify the agbay yet.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 27

i love it for all my smaller cakes.. agbay for larger cakes.. been using the smaller one for 14 yrs.. i show how to use it in wilton course 1 class. students really like it.. some people don,t like wilton anything.. . that is sad....

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 27

Wilton has 2 that I know of. The small one with the wire is pretty useless. The larger one with the knife type cutter is a little better, but I find that the blade tends to carve upwards and I never got a straight cut. Now I just do it with a knife.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 27

I got mine with one of the coupons at Joanns so it was pretty cheap. I just wanted to see how it worked. It was ok...not great. Like the others have said, it worked better for the samll cakes, but not over about 8" for me.

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 27

I have the small one and I like it. Works for me, but I don't do large cakes. I have used it on round and rectangular. I am not at a point to buy the $$ one, but I do have two KA's.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 27

I have one and I use it for the small cakes like everyone else has said, for me it is fine. When I need to level a large cake I grab my son's bread knife. princess.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 27

To me, the small one is useless. The wire is so thin and the "feet" are so small and rounded that it doesn't cut straight. It also can't do large cakes. I haven't used mine in years. I love the large one though. I use it for my little 5" squares as well as my 16" squares. It has large, flat feet that keep the blade level and a nice wide, serrated blade.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 27

I have one and I use it for the small cakes like everyone else has said, for me it is fine. When I need to level a large cake I grab my son's bread knife. princess.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 27

I use it both to cut small cakes and for a guide with my 'bread' knife. You need to score the cake with the bread knife before using the leveller, which is a pain, and I also find that you need to rotate it to finish the cut (turn it so you're back tracking over the cut, so the wire will end up where it has already cut (does that makes sense?)). If you don't, you get a chuck of cake coming off as you pull it out. (Or score the opposite side before you start, so there is already a cut made.) Everything has it's quirks, I guess.

Sometimes I'll just use it as a guide when I'm slicing a very small cake. I place it against the cake at the height I need, then place the bread knife against the top of the wire and use that as a level guide to cut. Don't press down on the wire, or you'll be lower than you want, and maybe not level.

As for the big one (with the saw blade), don't waste your money. Starts out fine, but once it's inside the cake, the feet start to lift off the table, and/or the blade bends upwards inside the cake, so it's not level at all. There's no way to maintain the pressure of the blade in the middle of a large cake. I can't afford the Agbay right now, but will in the future, should this 'cake thing' take off for me.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 27

When using the large leveler, I find it works best to hold it on the sides instead of the top of the handle. I also score the cake at the level of the blade like CutiePie mentioned. I get great results with it doing these 2 things.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 27

I have both Wilton levelers and like them. I use the small one all the time...it's the one that I automatically reach for. Part of that is because my kitchen is small and it's hard to fit the big one on my counter. When I use both of them, I keep the cake on a thin flexible mat and I turn the cake so that the leveler is going through sideways, after the initial cut.

I bought the small leveler about 10 years ago and it lasted for 8 years...then the wire snapped and I bought another. It was still about three dollars, just like it was ten years ago.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #18 of 27

I have the small wilton leveler but i always have a hard time leveling my cakes. I usually have to get a bread knife to finish the leveling my cakes maybe i am not doing something right. I got frustrated and stop using it.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #19 of 27

Not my favorite.... icon_rolleyes.gif Hey, you can have mine, then you can find out for yourself. icon_lol.gif

morgs2485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgs2485 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #20 of 27

I make small cakes (10" and smaller) and I love my leveler! It's only $3 and it is much easier to use this than trying to use floss or string.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #21 of 27

The small one is ok but the large one is going in the trash. It wouldn't cut straight so I gave up and did a much better job with my bread knife.

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #22 of 27

i like the small wire leveler. when using it for small 4" to 8" cakes. anything larger than that its hard to move back and forth so you end up pulling and ripping the cake. but i do like it..

the handle also tends to bend and the wire becomes loose and doesnt ever seem to work right again. i always have 3 or 4 on hand tho. i dont make large cakes so i have no need for the ginormous levelers

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #23 of 27

I have both of Wilton's. I use the smallest most often and have never had a problem with it. I actually have two and when I was working on a wedding cake this weekend I use both. One set to torte the cake and the other set to trim the tops to make them all even (oven isn't level). Worked great.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 27

I got the smaller one first, tried to use it one time, said a few choice words and it (as a PP said) became a filler in my trash can.

I bought the larger one and I love it!! I don't have any problems with it, it's all in how you use it. I typically am using it to cut my cakes to fill, since when they come out of the oven I put a cake circle on them and a can of veggies. That usually takes care of any dome that might have been in the middle.

I can't justify the price of an Agbay and don't need to since the large Wilton lever works just fine.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #25 of 27

i have the larger one with the serrated cutting edge like a knife, and i really get on well with it, AS LONG AS USED ON WARM CAKE ONLY!!!! I learnt this thru trial and error, i split and level my cakes straight out the oven when hot and i find it very effective and easy icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:41pm
post #26 of 27

To be blunt - It sucks. The large one isn't much better. Go with an Agbay. They are pricey but worth the cost.

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #27 of 27

I love it! When I torte my 8" cakes in my class, all the students are amazed at how clean of a cut it creates. Most of them run right out and buy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%