Attaching Panels

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm by meri1028

MissCakeCrazy Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 9

Yesterday I did a gift box cake with stencelled panels and I found it really difficlt to stick the edges together. I found royal icing useless as it still came apart. I have now 2 sides that look like it has stuck and set, the other 2 sides have a gap. I have now tried to fill in the gap with a little royal icing with my finger hoping that it will come together. I am terrified of transporting it, scared that it will fall apart in the car. One mistake I did was to make the cake an inch smaller than the panels (I wanted to leave room for the buttercream) but there was still quite a big gap so the panel borders are away from the cake and just held together with the royal icing. Does anyone have any tips on attaching them and making them more stable. The panels are made of fondant. I couldn't attach the picture but its in the latest uploads.

8 replies
Doug Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 9

1) use a long tip (like the ones used for filling filled pastries) and squirt more BC (good sticky stiff recipe) between cake and panels to fill the gap

2) pipe the royal icing into the gap -- much like putting caulking into gaps around sinks and tubs

3) use a very stiff royal for above

4) consider using melted white chocolate as the main gap filler and then a little royal over it for color match.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks doug, I tried to pipe royal icing into the gap but didn't work. How do you make it stiff? Mine was nomal which was done with icing sugar and egg white. The gap was also so big that it would have needed alot of chocolate. Also, wouldn't have that set too hard? Woudn't a ganache been better? How would I have been able to smooth over royal icing on the chocolate and wouldn't the icing have set really hard?

Doug Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 9

stiff = less water (or more sugar. less water easier)

and there's a problem with "a lot of chocolate"? icon_rolleyes.gif

chocolate sets up no harder than royal and probably a tad bit softer. (think royal icing details vs. a chocolate bar -- royal more fragile)

smooth royal with a wet finger.

royal always sets hard -- it's basically sugar and water

MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 9

So basically for next time, I should use royal icing to smooth over the sides of the cake before I stick on the fondant panels? Can I put royal icing directly on the cake or do I have to put buttercream on it beforehand. In the UK, we use the british version buttercream which is softer and not very stiff. Or should I smooth over melted chocolate making the sides straight, wait for it to harden, then smooth on the royal icing?

Doug Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 9

bc over cake...

then panels

(and I make the panels out of chocolate! -- easier to glue together and easier to stick to things and things to them)

could you do it like a traditional Christmas fruit cake --
using a coating of preserves and then the royal and then the panels?

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 9

What kinda board is it on?

Like if it was foam core or cardboard--run a groove in it with a knife so the panels can slide down in there a bit.

Or use melted chocolate to glue something to the plate that will form a groove--but we were talking about a cake the other day that might have been bordered with kitkat bars--so something like that --that can be glued together with melted choco.

Hey you could stand the kit kat bars up and glue the panels to those too--one inside each corner.

Kit kat bars sound pretty good--or Twix--Twix are more square than kit kats too.

Or~~Could you sand off part of the top edge so they panels lean into each other a bit at the top?

Chocolatey engineering thoughts for you.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:24am
post #8 of 9

so confusing....

meri1028 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 9

Miss Cake Crazy, you might want to try piping gel. I used that to attach some basket weave panels for a basket cake. But my base was ganache, not buttercream. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%