planning to use NFSC
what thinkcness will freeze best?
what tips on freezing?

how many 3-4" cookies per batch?

18 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 19

I always use NFSC. I usually cut my cookies just over 1/4" but not quite 3/8 thick. I usually get approx 42-49 3-4" cookies that size and thickness. I roll my dough, cut out the cookies and freeze overnight on the cookie sheet, then bake the next day. If you need to freeze longer, once they are frozen you could stack them and put them in ziplocs until ready to bake. How long will you be freezing them? If you ziploc them and put them in another plastic freezer container they should be good for 3months, be sure no strong odors in freezer.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 19

I'd say, get some great music going and....GET BzY baking! I think most people do 3/4 thickness in NFSC. I don't use NFSC, so someone else will be able to help with how many cookies one batch yields. You could do several batches in a row, if you do too much, just freeze the leftover dough. Bake and freeze cookies. Bake several extras for mess-ups and breakage, and you can freeze any leftover baked cookies as well. and bring out of freezer as you're decorating. Maybe even do flooding, dry and freeze, then detail and bag close to time of delivery.
Good Luck!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 19

According to the recipe you can make up to 5 dozen 3" cookies.

I haven't made this recipe yet but it's on my list.

midwestmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmommy Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 19

hey thanks!
I had not thought of freezeing them BEFORE baking. I was going to bake then freeze.

does freezing limits cange unbaked vs baked? can i freeze eithr or up to 3 months?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 19

I did 400 cookies one week but I baked, then froze about 1 month ahead of time, a few batches everynight.. On the Tuesday before the weekend, I pulled them out of freezer and did assembly line decorating. I also make extra for breakage. I use NFSC, about 1/4 inch thick but only get about 35-40 cookies per recipe but mine tend to be about 4 inches. No difference in taste vs fresh baked that I could tell.good luck

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 19

Sorry, I can't really give you any other advice on this.
I'm just really interested in this thread as I've frozen unbaked cookie dough and cur cookies but I've never frozen baked cookies, I've never even thought to do it. Can you really not tell the difference?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcm51

Sorry, I can't really give you any other advice on this.
I'm just really interested in this thread as I've frozen unbaked cookie dough and cur cookies but I've never frozen baked cookies, I've never even thought to do it. Can you really not tell the difference?

if they are well wrapped and they are frozen only for a short time, (a month or 2) there is no difference I can tell and I am a cake and cookie snob (no cake mixes for me)

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 19

I baked and covered cookies with MMF with RI accents then froze them. They turned out great. I think next time I would do the RI after they defrost from the freezer as some of the accents broke off but as far as taste they were great.

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #10 of 19

I roll NFSC to 3/8" and get about 36 3-4" cookies out of a batch. I freeze my cookies already decorated (Antonia74) wrapped tight in plastic wrap and then in a plastic container. Never had a problem. I defrost them on the counter, all wrapped up, and then package. Good luck with the order!

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #11 of 19

I just did 180 3-4inch cookies and I used 5 batches of NFSC.

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:17am
post #12 of 19

I just baked 245 2 1/2" NFSC at 3/8" thickness and it took 4 1/2 batches. I got about 50-55 out of each. When I do 3" cookies, I get about 30-32. I have frozen baked and iced cookies, but not unbaked ones. I bake everything I roll the same day. I also work out of a commercial kitchen and own 12 full sheet pans, so it only took me 8 hours to finish today. If you don't have this luxury, I advise several days baking and freezing.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 19

I'm just wondering how you all decorate so many cookies at once without killing your wrists and shoulders? I only made 55 cookies this week, and that was enough for me!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 19

I just want to clarify about my freezing the unbaked dough. I find NFSC easier to work with unchilled. So I make a batch, roll and cut out all at once, due to my sched and the kids, school activities etc. I start in the evening, then the dough goes into the freezer on the cookie sheets to chill-I dont have room in my fridge. This way I can bake off all at once the next morning and start decorating that night. I will freeze the decorated and bagged cookies if I need them for a later date.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 19

I have frozen the dough then baked, frozen the baked cookies & baked and decorated fresh---no difference that anyone could tell!

I would bake then freeze for ease when decorating. If you want to "crisp" up your cookies just pop them in a preheated oven for about 3-4 min. Enough to warm them but not rebake them.

When I freeze I get my tupperware containers & layer the cookies w/ wax paper in between the layers. then I put plastic wrap on top of all of them & sometimes will put plastic wrap across the top before putting on the lid.

I normally use RBC or MRBC 7 cut out all of those & freeze the same way as the cookies.

I wish I could say how many cookies you will get out of one batch, but I usually use numerous cutters per batch so I'm no help there.

I usually use 3/8" for normal cookies & 1/4" for cookie bouquets. they both freeze well & only take a few min to thaw.

I would make my RI ahead as well. Color a day or two prior--b/c it'll darken as it sits & bubbles will rise to the top. I use Antonia74's recipe & freeze it. Don't know about other recipes, but if you use hers--make a few batches & freeze (I put a layer of wax paper directly onto the RI then plastic wrap before the lid & take the wax paper off before thawing so you don't have to scrape it off)

HTH. Good luck & don't forget pics!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I'm just wondering how you all decorate so many cookies at once without killing your wrists and shoulders? I only made 55 cookies this week, and that was enough for me!

Oh! I can do 250 in 8 hours because I use MMF/RBC and edible images! icon_lol.gif Yeah, if I piped everything, I'd have to admit myself to the psych ward! That would definitely take a few days. I used to pipe on sugar cookies where I used to work, but all I had to do was the decorating. I hated it. Even though I would sit on a stool, it still killed my back. That's why I like my method better, but the purpose is different, too.

Plus, I decorate cakes for Costco full time and decorate 60-80 cakes a day, so my wrists and shoulders are already pretty far gone. icon_sad.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 19

Can't speak specifically to the NFSC recipe, but I bake and freeze cookies every year. I do an INSANE amount of baking every holiday season (Thanksgiving-Epiphany, this year, starting even earlier with Halloween cookies). I am usually baking or decorating something almost every day during December. I freeze as I bake, then close to the time I put together my baskets, I pull out the cookies and decorate them or coat them in powdered sugar, depending on what kind of cookie they are. Fortunately, we have a very large upright freezer AND thank goodness fruitcakes don't have to be frozen, or I'd never fit it all in! icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 19

Deleted b/c I seriously have NO clue how my computer made a repost HOURS later.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 19

Ok-after all the baking and decorating - my biggest issue is wrapping! I like the look of plastic but would like to find a distributor that makes the individual cookie wrappers that fold over...anyone??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%