Flowers In A Flower Basket?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm by juliebold

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a fall flower basket cake and wanted to make it as real looking as possible like a full basket of flowers. I've never done GP flowers on a cake that have a stem, so I'm confused on how to fill an entire top of a cake with them. I want them tall and cascading out the sides a bit, very natural looking. I don't want to stick a bunch of floral wires into the cake, so how do I get them all on there and arrange them in a realistic way without puncturing the heck out of the cake and without sticking all those wires into it?

10 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

How about using styrofoam covered with fondant or bc (whichever you are using for the basket) and making it look like part of the basket? That way you can remove the styrofoam when your ready to serve and you won't have any "holes" in your cake.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion! That would definitely be an option I could try.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 11

Great question. I wanted to know this also since I am planning to try a flower basket.

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 11

I make flower baskets all the time and the way I get the natural look is by taping my flowers to wooden skewers, (the kind you use for kabobs). Then you can put them in the cake without the worry of the wires. Also to keep them stable when they are tall you need to put either a piece of covered foam core or a cake circle on top. This will prevent the heavy flowers from pulling thru the cake and fondant. I hop this helps. If you have more questions just pm me. I have a pix of my basket in my gallery.

PinkLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 11

juliebold: do you make your flowers on wire and then trim the wire to an inch and then tape that to the skewers? Do you cover the foamcore with fondant? Do you use the 3/16" foamcore or the 1/2"?

juliebold Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 11

Pink Lisa,

I leave my wires at least a couple of inches then floral tape them to the skewer, adding leaves as I go. The foam core is 3/16 inch, not to thick unless the flowers are very large and heavy. Yes I do cover it in foam core to match the basket. On my baskets I put the foam core on then add the top twist of fondant to hide the edges where the foamcore sits and the top of the cake. I hope I worded that right.

juliebold Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 11

Also do not put the skewer all the way to bottom of the flower or you will not be able to pose the flower. Start your tape at the bottom of the flower and add the skewer a little further down. That way you can bend the flower in a natural way.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for all the info. Very good tips!

PinkLisa Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks juliebold!

juliebold Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 11

Not a problem guys anytime I can help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%