Need A Simple Cupcake Receipe, Box Cake Not Tasting Good

Baking By nydivagirl Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 1:25am by punkinpie

nydivagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydivagirl Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I am a newbie and I need a simple cupcake receipe. I already tried boxed cake mix and cupcake mix. The boxed cup cake mix tasting o.k but not great. Does anyone have a simple receipe for a good tasting cupcake or know of a good brand of boxed cup cake mix? I have also viewed cup cake cakes on this site but I do not understand how do you keep the cupcakes from moving around when you are trying to frost the cupcakes to look like a character, or a design. I am getting a little frustrated because if I cannot make a simple cupcake that taste good how will I ever be able to decorate a presentable one! Thanks in advance for any help! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 7

Everyone's tastes are different. What is good to one, may not be good to another. I would suggest going to the tabs at the top of the page. Inbetween HOME and FORUMS, you will find a tab labeled RECIPES , there you will countless recipes that have been rated by members. It may take some time, by sift through some till you find one that you like. I would offer you one of mine, but it sounds as though you are wanting a small batch, my batches make around 100+ cupcakes.

If you let me know what "flavor" you are looking for, I can post a recipe for you that makes around 12-24 cupcakes I first used when I started practicing.

As for them moving around, I can only assume you mean character by lining up cupcakes in the shape of something and icing them like a cake. That is something I do not do so I can offer no help in that area. Perhaps you should go through the cupcake gallery and pm some of the posters that do work on that style. CC'ers are quite friendly and always willing to help fellow bakers with the same passion.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 7

As the above poster said, there are hundreds of recipes in the files that you can look through. The back of Hershey's Cocoa powder has a great chocolate cake recipe, also. Or you can try the thread "How about a thread to seriously discuss making cupcakes?????" It might look intimidating, but there is a lot of good recipes on there. A couple of the girls have recipe files in their taglines to download all of the recipes that are posted in the thread as well.

As for the Cupcake Cake, try "glueing" the cupcakes to the board with a little bit of icing on the bottom. Let it set for a few minutes and then try icing. The cupcakes should stay put. HTH!!

Amber

dherringfarms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dherringfarms Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 7

Look in the recipe section for "enhanced cake formula". I have used this recipe along with Duncan Hines yellow cake mix -only-, and have gotten rave reviews on the taste. This recipe makes approx 48 cupcakes. Good luck and hope this helps.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 7

A very popular recipe on here is the WASC(white almond sourcream cake), its a half box half homemade mix, and its my absolute favorite, I make every flavor of cake you can dream up just by substituting out ingredients out for others in the mix to create different flavors, in my signature click on the link and it will bring you to the gourmet flavors doc created user Macsmom, there are many recipes there.
if there are any specific flavors not listed on there that you want to find, let me know, i can give you suggestions on how to make different flavors, i am always creating new cake recipes, I am going to attempt cosmopolitan cupcakes today.

good luck thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 7

i use the dunkin hines french vanilla super moist add and extra egg and pudding mix also the other flavers but i find all the delux moiste have given me the most compliments

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #7 of 7

If you are looking for chocolate cupcakes...

I enjoy the HERSHEY'S "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake recipe.

I've made it as cupcakes a few times. It is an easy recipe and you will most likely have the ingredients in your cupboard already.

HERSHEY'S "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%