? About Stacked Wedding Cake

Decorating By young9 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm by SugarFrosted

young9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
young9 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 4

i've never done a wedding cake, only birthday and party cakes and a friend asked me to make her wedding cake. she wants a small stacked, 6" 9" and 12" tiers and i have no idea how to stablize. i've looked on some of the other sites and i know i need the dowels, but my question is..do i need to put each tier on a cake plate/board of its own and then on top of the dowel supported tier, and if i have to..can i use cardboard cake boards or do i need to use a plastic cake plate? i'm needing to get all of my supplies ordered as there is no supply store anywhere near here so i need to have all my supplies in order! thanks everyone!

3 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, you need to put something under each cake. I use regular cake boards covered with press-n-seal. For support you'll need some kind of dowel. Wooden ones or plastic tubes (called hidden pillars) usually offer the best support.

Another option is to use plastic separator plates and the hidden pillars. The cake plates have little feet on the bottom that will slide into the hidden pillars and give a little more stability. You can get the plates with a plain edge so that you don't see them. Buy the same size as the cake that it's sitting on.

With either kind of dowel, just insert them into the cake and then cut flush with the top. Be very careful to make all of the supports the same size, or else your cake will lean and could collapse

A lot of people recommend SPS system, but I haven't tried that yet.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 4

I noticed you made a tiered cake for your son's birthday. Did you use dowels with that one? If so, it's the same concept. (If not, wow were you lucky!) icon_biggrin.gif

Here's some good basic info on how to assemble cakes: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 4

Here is an amazing thread with links to everything you'd ever want to know about making stacked/tiered cakes:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%