Stronger Mmf Question

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm by mommy2remi

AverageMom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I am making roses, and I've run out of gumpaste. Buying more is not an option where I live, so what can I knead into my MMF fondant to make it stronger/dry faster/hold shape?

7 replies
jillangel Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 8

You could use tylose but i would think maybe you don't have access to that because it isn't commonly carried in stores. Gum tex by Wilton is pretty common at craft stores.

AverageMom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 8

So I would just mix a bit of gum tex in? Any idea how much? And I do have tylose available...the only "cake stuff" store around only gets in an order every few months, and right now they have no gumpaste mix. They do, however, have several shelves of cake boards!! All circles, but still! Hundreds of them available!

jillangel Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 8

Ooooh if you can get tylose I prefer it over gum tex. As far as amounts somewhere on here people put amounts I just add a bit as I am working with it depending on my humidity etc. til I get it how I want it but someone else would be better with exact amounts.

AverageMom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, Jilangel!!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillangel

Ooooh if you can get tylose I prefer it over gum tex. As far as amounts somewhere on here people put amounts I just add a bit as I am working with it depending on my humidity etc. til I get it how I want it but someone else would be better with exact amounts.

If you have tylose, make gumpaste from scratch....I learned this recipe pretty much from Nicholas Lodge and it is super easy and works great!

Gum Paste

4 large egg whites
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/4 cup tylose powder

Measure about 3/4 of the bag of powdered sugar into your kitchen aid mixing bowl [doesn't have to be exact...just estimate].

Add the egg whites and mix with the paddle beater until a stiff royal icing is formed...I color mine at this stage too.

With the mixer running on low, sprinkle in the tylose. The mixture will thicken immediately.

Mix until no more sure will mix in [some will be left in the bowl].

Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 bag of sugar on a work surface.

Dump the gum paste onto the sugar and add 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening and knead in. Knead in sugar until the paste is no longer sticky...again you won't use all the sugar.

Rub the surface with shortening, store in a sealed bag overnight to mature before using.

Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for months when not in use.

d3sc3n7 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 8

No Wal-Mart near by? They carry wiltons gumpaste in their teeny tiny cake section

mommy2remi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 8

if i need my mmf to be stiffer, i just mix in 2 heaping TBSP of wilton gumpaste mix to my melted marshmallows when i'm making my mmf. let it sit overnight or even just a few hrs and you're good to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%