Need A Shine On The Cake... How?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 12:25am by Kris10joy

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 17

I'm making a bowling alley grooms cake. Have the wood floor done already and the one lane. But when the airbrushing dried, it looks kind of dull. Bowling alley floors are highly polished.

What is safe to spray through my airbrush that will dry and leave a good polyurethane looking sheen? Any ideas?

16 replies
Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 17

Whenever I want something to be "hi gloss" shine, I paint it with a 50/50 mixture of corn syrup and either vodka or pure lemon ext.

I use a regular paint brush, not an air brush machine.

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 17

Does it dry or does it remain sticky from the corn syrup?

msulli10 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 17

Can you wipe it down with a thin coating of shortening? Or will it smear the paint?

liha21 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 17

Cake boss uses a steamer to make his fondant shiny. I haven't tried this yet. I'm assuming it's fondant? The corn syrup sounds like it would give you the look you are going for, but don't know how you could do it without smearing.

kellie0406 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 17

I saw Cake Boss do it with the steamer, so when I did a toilet plunger cake on a tile floor, I went & got one. It was $20 at Walmart & definately worth it. I also just used it this weekend on the sweet 16 cake in my pics. Heres a pic of the tile floor.

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 17

If you use a steamer... when it dries, is it still shiny? I would think it would only be shiny while it is wet.

kellie0406 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 17

OK, adding the picture to my pics, can't get it to attach...I'm such a computer spaz!

itscake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 17

the steaming works....just pass the steamer over the area very quickly...once it dries it becomes very hard...and shiney...

Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shill

Does it dry or does it remain sticky from the corn syrup?

The alcohol from the vodka or pure extract makes it dry to the touch, yet it stays shiny. I also like the steamer idea.

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 17

I don't have a steamer so I'm leaning toward the corn syrup and alcohol idea. Just worried it will smear the floor when I apply it.

Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 17

It may Shill, I've never used it on anything that was airbrushed. You may want to do a test on a small area.

Just a thought.....do you have a regular flat iron that has the steam function? That could work for you.

kellie0406 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shill

If you use a steamer... when it dries, is it still shiny? I would think it would only be shiny while it is wet.

It stays shiney after drying. I steamed the tile floor on the toilet paper cake in my pics a day before the picture was taken. I know for things that have dusts on them, it also helps set the petal dust.

jillangel Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 17

I've steamed airbrushed fondant and it set it but be careful because I've steamed fondant accents and the steamer dripped onto the airbrushed buttercream and messed that up. Plop one big drop uggh! But it doesn't seem to affect airbrushed buttercream if I am quickly going over it & not in one place too long. So now I am extra careful. I steam all kinds of stuff. The horse in my pics looks like a toy it is so shiny!

Kris10joy Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:27am
post #15 of 17

Shortening works GREAT!!

CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #16 of 17

Does it soak in and then dull? The floor has been drying for several days now... I don't think my colors will bleed around. (It was airbrushed)

Kris10joy Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #17 of 17

I'd just be extra careful with the transfer of colors from airbrushing, but if they are fully dry, you shouldn't have a problem. Yes, the shortening does soak in after a few hours, but it doesn't get dull again for several days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%