Advise On Icing Cakes

Decorating By cakeaholic1978 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm by cakeaholic1978

cakeaholic1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic1978 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:21am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone recommend what would be best to use when icing cake to put fondant on. I have been told to use Ganache but also Buttercream Icing. Any suggestions please icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 6

Either one is right. Once you try a few you'll see what you're most comfortable using.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 6

Either really, i used ganash for a long time as it was the favoured choice to have. But recently, ive had alot more kids cakes to do, and the choice for them is buttercream, i never used to like working with it but im really starting to enjoy it

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 6

I like to use ganache when at all possible, but sometimes the flavors just don't jive, and I'm not a fan of white chocolate so I end up using buttercream instead....and I don't like to use ganache on kids cakes either...more of an adult thing I think.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 6

I think ganache for wedding & adult cakes is the best choice (where you want the best finish possible), but for kids cakes buttercream is fine.

cakeaholic1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic1978 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thankyou so much for all of you help. I will use ganache for adults and buttercream for kids. Thanks again. Really appreciate you help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%