Kitchen Rental

Business By whit6 Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm by edith1

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

I am just about to graduate culinary school and my dream has always been to have a catering company that includes "caking" as well and I am well on my way. Right now I am currently do cakes and small catered events and boxed lunches from my home (please do not jump on me about this, I know many of you disagree with this but but I feel you have to start somewhere...kinda like Paula Deen!)

Right now I am in that odd in between stage where I am not quite big enough or have enough money to have my own store front but I am outgrowing my tiny kitchen rather quickly! I have had to turn down some great opportunities because I just dont have the space and it sucks!!!

Anyway, because of this I am interested in renting out space somewhere so i I dont have to turn down these cool opportunities that come up. I have heard of people renting out church kitchens, and while that does sounds like it might be cheaper to me I wonder how well equipped it is. What about a school kitchen? Does anyone know if they ever do that? Please just let me know what kind of spaces any of you have used or know of.

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 8

I currently rent from a banquet center. We have no incubator kitchens in our area, but you may want to research that for your area.

There is a government grant available for incubator kitchens and that's how it is termed on the grant website. The only thing with applying for grants is if you do it wrong, you do not get another chance. I have no idea what it would run to hire a grant writer either.

edith1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 8

Im having the same problem. I live in the houston area. One thing im doing now is checking with other resturants who maybe having a hard time and will share their kitchen for a fee and make it a win win for everyone. Maybe that will help. good luck. if anyone in my area reads this and can give me any info.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 8

If you are looking to rent commercial kitchen space, this is what I did.

I told every single person I met/spoke with/emailed that I was looking to rent commerical kitchen space.

I just kept saying to everyone - in the grocery store - everybody I spoke with at work, at church, in emails, non-stop. Low and behold someone said "I know someone that is sharing her commercial kitchen".

End of story. Best of luck to everyone.

edith1 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:29am
post #5 of 8

thanks for the info . That is what I'm doing .i meet with a organization last night. will just wait and see. icon_wink.gif

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #6 of 8

You can also search your state at www.commercialkitchenforrent.com and you'll find lists of folks in your area that are looking to rent. I've had good success there. Keep in mind churches, Rec Centers, Lodges like Elks or Lions clubs, all those are possibilities!

Good Luck!

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 8

It depends on what state you're in. I am in Georgia and there is one shared kitchen in my area and it was cost prohibitive for me. Now I use an existing bakery in my area during my off hours and in exchange for the use I work for them the same number of hours for free. It is a sweet deal for me. I will have my inspection next week! If you can get a gig like that it's great. I did know the owners before this though. Not sure how many bakeries would do this for someone they didn't know.

edith1 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 8

thanks for the help . i must say cake central and all the people have been a great help. keep doing what ya all love to do. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%