I Had To Slam On My Brakes!!

Decorating By MrsLev557 Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:06am by letsgetcaking

MrsLev557 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 17

I am just a hobby baker, making them for friends and family for gifts. I was delivering the cake when someone pulled right out in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes not to hit them, Thank God I did not !! I did not even have to look, I knew the cake was smashed and it was. the top piece came down and smashed the entire side of the bottom cake.

I worked on this cake for 2 days, square cakes are so hard to look straight and with them being blocks, it made it even harder. The bottom was 8 inch block and top was a 5 inch. For the bottom I did two 4inch high cakes, stacked them with wooden dowels, and iced it as one big cake. I doweled the top block as well. I thought it seemed sturdy.

The family was so nice about it, I was a crying mess when I got there I was only about 2 miles away. Thankfully I did take pictures, they did cut and serve it.. looking back I wish I would have taken a picture of it smashed.

Thanks for listening... here is the before picture

Safe Driving
Shirl

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1472691

16 replies
step0nmi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 17

awwww...i'm so sorry! *hugs* to you! I feel your pain since I recently went through a disaster myself...almost dropping a wedding cake icon_razz.gif but they sound so nice and at least you were ok! keep your chin up! you do beautiful work icon_smile.gif

susgene Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 17

Oh I'm so sorry! The cake was beautiful!

I did the same thing myself with a cruise ship cake. Someone pulling out in front of me... The cake was in the trunk but I knew it couldn't have survived totally. I was devasted but my friend was so nice about it. We just laugh (kind of) now and call it the Titanic!

I learned to put a dowel rod through the entire cake into the board ALL the time now. I think this would have saved it. I put too many hours into cakes to let even one more end up this way!

So sorry this happened to you!

cabecakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 17

Oh my gosh the cake was beautiful. I'm so sorry. Look on the bright side though. It could have been a paying gig and you could have had to put up with an irrate client. At least you got a good picture of all your hard work, and your friends did get to taste all your hard work. Hugs to you. It really was beautiful. Nice clean work.

catlharper Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 17

Oh that's tragic...the cake was so beautiful! I'm tellin ya, I HATE delivering cakes! UGH!

Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 17

Well, the important thing is you avoided an accident and YOU are OK. I'm glad your client was understanding.

The cake is adorable, you did a great job! I especially love the fur on the cake board....so pretty!

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 17

We delivered two wedding cakes yesterday and I was laying in the back seat, holding the edges of each basket to make sure they didn't go flying. It was a nightmare. I was praying not to hit bumps, slam on brakes, or get pulled over (since I was out of my seatbelt - something I NEVER do!)

I swear, I think I age several years each and every time I have to deliver a cake. And it was over a 100 degrees too......

I have often wondered what would happen if tragedy struck? I am so glad your clients were understanding, as well as happy you didn't get into an accident or get hurt. Your cake is just adorable (and I love the cornelli lace one in the background too!)

dorie67 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 17

I am so sorry that that happened to you, your cake was beautiful. I love the ribbon roses. princess.gif

kseevers Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 17

Wow! That stinks. I'm sorry. I am always worried about that part too! The cake was so pretty!

Rosiepan Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 17

What a shame after all that hard work. Such a lovely cake too.

dorie67 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 17

I am so sorry that that happened to you, your cake was beautiful. I love the ribbon roses. princess.gif

luvmysmoother Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:17am
post #12 of 17

The cake was absolutely beautiful - we feel your painicon_sad.gif

MrsLev557 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks for all support and kind words..

The next day I was thinking I could have gone to the grocery store right across from the place and probably saved some of the fondant accents and put them on a cake just for show or something. But I was so upset and they were so nice about it I never thought of it at the time.

Hopefully this is the first and last time!!!

Thanks Again... Shirl

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 17

Scariest words ever! "I had to slam on my brakes"

Yes that is the cutest cake--so well done--yes those dang blocks are so decievingly difficult--you did sucha good job.

Sweet clients huh.

whew

aquamom Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 17

You did a beautiful job on the cake. WOW. You have such skill. SO sorry that the drive there didn't go well.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #16 of 17

Every time I scroll past your thread and read the subject I inadvertently gasp a little. sCaRy

letsgetcaking Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #17 of 17

Oh, that is so sad! What a beautiful cake, though. I'm glad you were able to take a photo of it and the family could see how beautiful it was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%