Questions About Silver And Gold Ri

Baking By cookierookie Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 2:53am by PuffCake

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 3

Can someone explain how to make silver or gold RI? I've read about mixing luster dust with extract or vodka, then painting it on, does that mean you don't use a piping bag? Is it applied via a paint brush? When they say extract, what kind of extract do you use? About how much? And, one more question I need to make the engagement ring and the customer wants the band to be gold, so do I basecoat with gold RI, then brush with luster dust the next day, would that work? icon_confused.gif I use Antonia's RI recipe.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks to anyone that can help me understand the process!

2 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 3

You would pipe your white ri design and then paint it with your gold/silver. You mix the gold/silver luster dust with extract, vodka, or lemon juice into a paste that can be painted and then paint it on with an artist's brush once the royal has dried. You can brush on additional dry luster or pearl dust once the paint has dried for additional effect.hth icon_smile.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 3

You would use the piping bag to pipe your RI, then when it's dry, paint it using a paintbrush with luster dust mixed with vodka or lemon extract (or any clear extract). You can also brush the luster dust on dry with a paintbrush instead of mixing it with vodka and painting it on. You can't color RI or BC silver or gold because it's light reflective. The silver and gold have to be brushed on (dry or wet) afterwards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%