Designing My Home-Based Commercial Kitchen

Business By Motta Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 1:53am by d3sc3n7

Motta Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 9

I'm so excited! The contractor will be over next week to discuss the design. I don't know exactly what to tell him. Any advice you have would be appreciated.

I know I'll need the basics but I wonder if I should have one side totally open for a big table or counter for rolling fondant, spreading out stuff I need, etc. OR should I put counters all around the edges of the kitchen?

Should I put in a walk-in pantry or just go with cupboards with roll-out drawers (I'll put them in from Ikea)?

Should fridge, stove, dishwasher, etc all go on one wall so as to be easy reach? is there a better way?

Any help? I'll post photos, of course, when it's all done!

8 replies
tootie0809 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 9

I don't have a commercial kitchen, but I do have a separate home bakery in my basement. It's huge and has a kitchen/baking area and then a decorating area. I have countertops with drawers and upper cabinets in the baking area and a large peninsula for baking, icing, etc. I have a fridge on one side of the room and then another all-refrigerator and all-freezer on the other side. The smaller fridge is for ingredients, and the larger all-fridge and all-freezer are for freezing and refrigerating finished or worked-on cakes and also for tubs of BC, etc.

I can tell you this, if you have space for it, put in as big of an island or work table as you can for rolling out fondant, etc. In my decorating room, I have a 4 x 6 foot island and I absolutely love it. I also have some other counter spaces along the walls of the room, but my favorite part of my entire bakery is the island. I was making GP flowers last night and loved being able to spread out all my materials and have everything I could possibly need right there and didn't need to get up to go find something in another area. And of course, rolling out large pieces of fondant on the island is fantastic.

Good luck with your project! It's exciting to be able to design the work space yourself isn't it!! icon_smile.gif

MnSnow Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 9

Remember to design your kitchen to follow the flow of food. Our Dept of Health requires that. Like recieving door near the refrigerator so when food items are delivered they are out of the frig the least amount of time.

Love the idea of a huge center island for work area plus counter tops along all sides.

*Sigh* I'm envious

-Tubbs Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 9

Like pp said, try to separate your 'clean' areas (ingredient storage, mixing, decorating etc) from your 'dirty' areas (dishwasing, garbage). When you have your inspection, they will be looking for good, safe flow of materials.

Also try to work in that big island/table. A counter isn't big enough to roll fondant for big cakes.

How much space will you have?

Motta Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you both! I like the idea of working with the flow of food. I also love the idea of an ingredient fridge.

I hope I'll have enough room for an island. I also have a large old dining table that might work as one.

There's one window in the room. Should I use that to cast light onto the decorating area or should the baked goods remain out of the sun just to be on the safe side? I like the idea of natural light on me as I work but I get a lot of sun in the mornings and wouldn't want a meltdown on anything either.

Anyone else with input? I'd love to hear from you.

-Tubbs Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I hope I'll have enough room for an island. I also have a large old dining table that might work as one.

There's one window in the room. Should I use that to cast light onto the decorating area or should the baked goods remain out of the sun just to be on the safe side? I like the idea of natural light on me as I work but I get a lot of sun in the mornings and wouldn't want a meltdown on anything either.

Remember, no unfinished wood will pass the inspection.

My kitchen is north-facing, I have loads of artificial lights.

Motta Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 9

Hey Tubbs! So nice to hear from you! Great advice - thanks. The table is finished but old; may have some peeling areas. I was thinking of putting a glass cover over it.

The space is the size of a bedroom (not the master), about 11X11 or 121 sq.feet. It'll be tight once the cupboards are in but if I leave one side open, the table or island can go there. I've seen much smaller spaces in person so I think it should serve my needs. I hope a bar fridge will work as my ingredient fridge.

TitiaM Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #8 of 9

The bakery I used to work in had large wooden tables and they covered them with large sheets of (I think) Plexiglas--the health inspectors were ok with that. I don't think glass would be ok with the health department because of the possibility of breakage.

d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #9 of 9

I work in a commercial kitchen. Not a bakery by any means...just a kitchen.

Anyway...the thing I would want the most out of that kitchen, is a walk-in cooler. I would guess this might be hard to work into a workable price range...but if possible...you'll love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%