Did You Know About This Product?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 11:23am by ApplegumKitchen

Elise87 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 12

Well I didn't lol In the sense that i have seen silcone muffin trays arounds etc but i didn't know they made mats that you can put in oven! That's great cose not only can i use it for rolling fondant but i hate lifting my cookie dough cutout off my cutting board and changing their shape a little in the process to put on my baking trays when i can just cut out my shapes, lift the excess off and just put my mat on a tray in the oven. Woo hoo!

Also was a bit iffy though about using silicone in the oven but found out it was perfectly safe and no chemicals get into the food or anything icon_biggrin.gif

SILICONE MAT I SAW WAS:

# Made from silicone
# Heat resistant
# Replaces baking paper on biscuit trays.
# May also be used as a work surface for kneading dough.
# Ideal for making praline and thin sheets of toffee.
# Stain and warp resistant.
# Measurement markings along each edge (in inches and cm).
# Rolls up for easy storage.
# Suitable for coated or non-stick bakeware.
# Microwave safe.
# Dishwasher safe

11 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #2 of 12

Yeah, silpat baking mats have been around for years. icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 12

yeh i figured most people would know but just incase someone didn't.

I mean i knew there have been non-stick mats around for ages, just not the oven ones icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

I am a bit behind times lol

ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 12

Elise

They have them for EVERYTHING - great for your barbie - when you don't want this mornings bacon & eggs to taste like last nights Atlantic salmon.

I have bought the baking roll and cut it up into strips, squares and circles and use them as cake tin liners - FANTASTIC and no more cutting bakepaper etc. They wash in hot soapy water and nothing sticks!!

http://www.magiccookingsheet.com.au/index.asp?page=Magic-Cooking-Products-Home

cakesbycathy Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Elise

They have them for EVERYTHING - great for your barbie - when you don't want this mornings bacon & eggs to taste like last nights Atlantic salmon.

I have bought the baking roll and cut it up into strips, squares and circles and use them as cake tin liners - FANTASTIC and no more cutting bakepaper etc. They wash in hot soapy water and nothing sticks!!

http://www.magiccookingsheet.com.au/index.asp?page=Magic-Cooking-Products-Home

I read the barbie thing and thought "How do you use them with a doll? icon_confused.gif "
Course then I realized you're in Australia and it made a lot more sense then icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 12

ApplegumKitchen: cool! and lol to the toaster pockets on the website

cakesbycathy: as soon as i read barbie i though i don't think some people are going to get that lol

Edited to say: I really want that mat now cose i am doing some cookies today, would have some in so handy icon_cry.gif

Mike1394 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:22am
post #7 of 12

It might not be as easy as you think. Be very careful when cutting out your cookies. You can cut the mat. Just take care when cutting, and you'll be fine.

Mike

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:46am
post #8 of 12

Yeah what Mike said.

Roll & cut your cookies out on parchment paper.

You don't wanna cut those things way too expensive.

Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:13am
post #9 of 12

I think they look like a fab little invention, Very helpful indeed! I didnt realise they were expensive, they sell a similiar type in a stall in my local market, there not expensive but not the silpat brand( im british ) i wonder if theyll work as good as the silpats

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:26am
post #10 of 12

Well yeah I've got several non-silpat silicone mats that I really like. I think the gold standard is if it's all silicone or if it's got other stuff in it besides silicone. But the silpat brand is way pricey huh.

Plus I have an off brand that imparts the plastic-y taste to the cookies--not cool! It obviously is not 100% silicone.

But they are so much fun--it's a learning curve to get used to putting them into the heat huh.

Elise87 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:39am
post #11 of 12

Hmm i was going to buy 1 silicone baking mat for rolling out my fondant and baking but i think it would be too small for one and too large for the other, it is 44.5 x 33 cm.

Maybe i should buy a Non-Slip Silicone Pastry Mat instead for the fondant, i found one 49 x 39 cm for $23 AU, is that good? and maybe get a small baking silicone mat also even though it will cost me more all up....though it isn't really THAT much bigger

ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:23am
post #12 of 12

Elise - just go down to Bunnings and grab a metre of their "off the roll" clear PVC - its great to use as a non-stick roll-mat - cheap AS!

Just make sure you hang it up on one of your skirt hangers - because once you fold it or even roll it - it is hard to get any creases out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%