Instructions For Cattails, Acorns, Feathers

Decorating By deetmar Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 6:31am by milkmaid42

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 11

Does anybody know where I can find instructions for Cattails, acorns, feathers, or mallard ducks?

Thanks

10 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 11

I can tell you how I made my feather (in my photos) and I made acorns last spring. I didn't use instructions but I can write out how I did them if you'd like. I've never made cattails though...

Please let me know. Good luck.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 11

I've made cattails a few times by taking dry spaghetti and piping brown or chocolate icing onto the end. Push the spaghetti into the piping tip squeeze the bag as you withdraw the spaghetti. I use either buttercream or royal icing. On the bass catching man cake in my photos I used buttercream icing and the same idea with tip 352 and green icing to make the cattail leaves so they would stand up then inserted the end of the spaghetti into the cake. In my wreath cake I made tan leaves with royal icing.
The acorns on my Thanksgiving cake were molded from caramels for the nut with Tootsie Roll caps.
Feathers and Mallard ducks???

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 11

kellertur
Would u please tell me how to make the acorns. I have seen them and thought thy look so nice, but never knew how to make them. Thanks

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 11

Take an individual caramel unwrap and if too hard to work with fingers warm in microwave for about 5 seconds. Break off a piece roll into ball and then work into acorn shape flatten top. Do the same with a midgie Tootsie roll flatten into cup shape and press onto the caramel acorn. Use a toothpick to score the Tootsie Roll cap to make it look like the cap on a real acorn.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #6 of 11

Thanks

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks on the acorn, not only easy but really yummy. I think I get the cattails, now for mallard ducks, and pheasant feathers?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #8 of 11

I don't use caramels, although I do like that method.

I just balled up (and shaped) some colored fondant for the "nut". I then made a small disc of brown (shaped it) and scored it with a knife in a chris-cross design to mimic the top the acorn, and inserted a clove (point side up) into the acorn top.

I hope this helps.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 11
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:51am
post #10 of 11

I made cattails using thin wooden skewers, rubbed with brown food color, and modeling chocolate: 7 oz dark chocolate, chopped, + 1/4 C. Light corn syrup. Melt chocolate in micro or over hot water. Cool a little then add in the corn syrup. It will stiffen but mix it well. Spread out on plastic and let set overnight to firm up. Break off small amount and knead till pliable. Roll into small "sausages" (Pam your hands) and insert skewer.
Leaves I made with gum paste.
I made the duck's basic form with RKT. Covered and sculpted with Royal Clay: 3 Tbs. Meringue powder, 1 lb. Powdered sugar, 1/2 C. minus 1 Tb. Lukewarm water, and 3/4 tsp. Cream of tartar. Combine all ingredients & mix at low speed until very stiff peaks form. Keep covered with a damp cloth at all times. (Can be kept in the refrigerator for a long time. To restore texture, simply re-beat.) This can be sanded and carved and painted with food colors, diluted with Vodka. The picture (if I can attach it properly), is going to be a sculpted groom's cake...Due in 3 days. Hope this helps.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:31am
post #11 of 11

Couldn't work attachment properly. I posted the pic on my photos, if you click on it maybe it will help you. It's late and my dial-up is so slow. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%