Attaching Fondant Balls As Border?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:23am by Kitagrl

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 8

I have yet another question about the cake I am doing for tomorrow. I am doing a border of fondant "balls" and am not sure of the best way to attach them. Do I pipe a border of buttercream and stick them in that or is it best to brush piping gel on them and then stick them on? I have done this once before (can't really remember how I attached them) and after the cake sat over night the buttercream was dryish and cracking around where the balls were stuck. Not sure why but would like to avoid that this time. TIA

7 replies
jammjenks Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 8

You could do it either way. If I was doing the cake, I'd probably pipe a pulled-out dot on the back of each ball and then stick it in place.

Tiffany29 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 8

When I attached mine I used a paint brush and water. I didn't have a problem with them drying or falling off. Some ppl like to use bc or piping gel. HTH!

sugarandslice Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #4 of 8

I've only done it once; on both tiers of a 2tier cake. I used a little bit of glue brushed onto the back of each ball. Glue made from Tylose and water.

madgeowens Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #5 of 8

I eother paint with water or piping gel

online_annie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

If they are going on a buttercream cake, then I pipe a little dot of buttercream, then apply. You could also use piping gel.

bmarlow001 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 8

I always use water and have never had a problem with them falling off

Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

I use royal icing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%