Idea Help Needed For Design

Decorating By liha21 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm by liha21

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 5

I want to surprise an incredible family with a very special cake. It is to celebrate the birthday of a sweet sweet man that lost his battle with cancer. They are going to be going to his hunting blind on his birthday to spread his ashes. This man meant so much to so many people and I want to remind the family of that. I thought that since they are celebrating at his hunting blind then camouflage would be appropriate. Also his faith was a huge part of who he was, but not sure how to incorporate that into the cake. And also at church he was known as 'the candy man', always had a huge bucket of candy everywhere he went to give to the kids. I was thinking that maybe one of the cakes with kit kats around the outside and filled in with m&m's would be great for that, but how would I incorporate the hunting, and the his faith? Perhaps a small bible would be great ?

Any idea's would be a huge help!

Thank you

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 5

I would do a camo cross cake--really 'simple' as the saying goes--I would border it with the kitkats.

Made me tear up--what a guy!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 5

Just a quick and messy sketch I did in MSPaint. I drew a square cake, but this could be done on a round cake or rectangular, heart, what have you. Camo icing with dark brown cross. The colored circles are supposed to be jumbo M&M's for the border.
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 5

possibly a multi-tiered cake....

do a woodlands theme ala this cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_877393.html

but skew the theme to this song:
http://www.my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/deer.html
and the Bible verse: Psalm 42:1 -- "As the hart panteth after the water brooks,
so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

make the top most tier be heaven with the River of Life (an image for Christ) flowing out.

Him and deer on path to heaven.

He carrying a big ol' bucket of candy

possibly little cherubs (candy hungry ones?) waiting his arrival.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 5

K8memphis, That was one of my thoughts, but I was hoping for something with a little more wow to it.

Thanks prterrell, That is a pretty cool idea. I love how the sketch came out anyway.
Doug, that is an amazing thought. Unfortunately, i just wanted to something small that can travel with them, as they are going up north. But I will make sure to keep this idea as well, perhaps for his birthday next year. This family has already lost a grandchild and they always remember his birthday with some sort of celebration, or memorial, so I'm certain they will be celebrating and remember Tom every year.

I just knew the wonderful cc family would come through with some great ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%