Basic Pricing

Business By love2frost Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:52am by __Jamie__

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 8

Could someone help me with "basic pricing" for wedding cakes. If you charge 3.00/serving for BC and 3.50/serving for fondant is that with BC as a filling? What if someone wants a raspberry filling or ganach? Do you add .25/serving? Thanks for all of your advice!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 8

I'm kind of an odd man out. I dont' do 'basic pricing'. My price is my price. If someone wants a 6 tier cake with 6 different cake flavors and 6 different filling flavors, then it's all the same price.....I don't charge extra for that. I find it to be a great selling tool when a bride discovers she can have ANYTHING SHE WANTS inside the cake at no extra charge (and most of the outside of the cake, too). It's especially valuable since one of my brides told me she was quoted by a caker that there would be an extra $65 charge just to wrap ribbon around the base of her 3-tier cake. 65 cents a serving to wrap ribbon. Unbelievable. (And the bride had to provide the ribbon).

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

65 cents a serving to wrap ribbon. Unbelievable. (And the bride had to provide the ribbon).

Good grief! I don't charge for that either. Brides with me can have anything they want to, but extra for ganache, gotta charge extra for that.

love2frost Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

Very Interesting Indidebi! I love it! So if you don't charge any extra for fillings or "gourmet" cakes can I ask what your prices are? Do you charge per serving? Thanks!!!

_Jamie_ how much extra do you charge? Do you charge an extra, say .25/serving or do you just charge say, 25.00 for the cake?

Thanks for all of the info!!!!!

love2frost Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 8

Very Interesting Indidebi! I love it! So if you don't charge any extra for fillings or "gourmet" cakes can I ask what your prices are? Do you charge per serving? Thanks!!!

_Jamie_ how much extra do you charge? Do you charge an extra, say .25/serving or do you just charge say, 25.00 for the cake?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogheaven3

I don't know what the heck a "gourmet" cake is. If someone evers orders one, I'll let you know! icon_lol.gif I use sleeve fillings or my regular white/choc BC so there's no big extra cost to me for fillings. Prices, as shown on my website (and I always point out that my pricing is publicly posted where anyone can see what it is, so there is no issue or hint of "price fixing") are $3.50/BC and $4.50/fondant.

I do have some designs that have an extra "design fee", such as my City Skyline cake because of the hand-cut chocolate work on the skyline; the cherry blossom cake because I have to order $50 worth of gumpaste blossoms; and this one: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422576 because of the very detailed work that took me close to 2 days to complete (I can do most cakes in about 6-8 hours).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

I do have "gourmet" flavors (for instance my basic ones are doctored box mixes, but my "gourmet" flavors are from scratch and have more expensive ingredients like lots of chocolate or sour cream or nuts or whatever...). For awhile I charged extra for them but then found nobody was buying my really good flavors. So as I started raising my prices I took Indy's idea and just nixed the "nickel and diming" stuff. I price my cakes as if they were buying gourmet and if they choose a basic flavor, yay for me. haha. I don't even charge extra for ganache unless there is alot of it, and then I just figure it into the entire price of the cake. I have actually, since then, had several people that when they find out they can choose ANYthing off my flavor list, they get all excited. (And then they pick vanilla. haha.)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 8

.25 extra per serving. That's the only way I ever charge extra when it comes to flavors. Designs now, that's another story. I jump at the chance to do do anything but typical, but I can't think of anything I've done that was signifigantly above typical pricing. I'm like Debi, I like telling them they can have 5 different flavors in one slice of cake! You only get wedding cake once (sometimes), so go all out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%