Cake Diameter Question

Decorating By Destinys_Delights Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm by indydebi

Destinys_Delights Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

Ok this might make me sound crazy but I don't want to be disqualified for doing it wrong. I am entering a cake contest at the State Fair and the rules say that the cake cannot be larger than 20" high and 20" in diameter. If I am doing a square cake board is that a 20"x20" square or would it be smaller.

5 replies
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 6

A 20"x20" square is larger than a 20" circle by 8.2 inches. If you are set on doing a square, you need to do a 14"x14" one.

indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

prt, you're the math expert here, so help me out. The diameter is the measurement from one side to another, so wouldn't a 20" square fit the 20" requirement? Or do you think they are measuring from corner to corner, in which case the 20" square WOULD be larger than 20"?

Educate me please.

prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

Well, the diameter of a circle is side to side, but a square doesn't have a diameter per se. If you put a 20" circle down on a 20" square, the edges of the circle would meet the sides of the square, but the corners would each stick out a little over 4 inches.

A square is always longer corner to corner than the length of the sides. The length from corner to corner is the hypotenuse of a right triangle. So what I did (using an online calculater that I found by doing a Google search icon_biggrin.gif), is figure out what length adjacent and opposite sides are needed in order to have a hypotenuse of 20" and that happens to be just barely over 14" (14.1421 to be exact).

Destinys_Delights Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 6

WOW! that really went over my head icon_lol.gif . I will just go ahead make changes in my design to cut it down to 14 inches to be on the safe side. Thank you so much!

indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 6

Believe it or not, that makes sense. "Thanks for the math lesson," said Grasshopper. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%