Painting On Fondant

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm by indydebi

mindy1204 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

I made my grandsons first bday cake today. If you look in my photos (if its there yet) it is the sports themed one. I made the balls earlier in the week to allow them to dry. 3 days before the party I painted them with wilton color. The paint never dried. What do you all use to paint on fondant so it dries.

Thanks Mindy

6 replies
Rylan Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe thinning it with vodka would help? But that again might change the shade. How about dusts dilluted in alcohol or airbrush colors?

keystone Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 7

I've used the paste colors with and without vodka to paint with. They've always dried for me. I use Americolor but that shouldn't matter.

indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 7

I just made a tree stump cake (will post picture in a couple of hours after I deliver it). I squirted some brown (Cake Craft brand) in a styrofoam cup, added enought water to get it as thin as I needed and painted it on. It was almost dry in a couple of hours, when I left the shop, and was completely dry this morning.

mindy1204 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 7

I used Wilton right out of the container.. It never dried I will try all the suggestions you all mentioned thanks you

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

Straight Wilton colors can take a week or more to least they have for me. Another idea would be to use a food color marker or, if it's a piece that absolutely won't be eaten, like part of a topper, use a Crayola marker because it's so much cheaper.

indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

I just posted the tree stump cake, if anyone wants to take a peek and see my paint job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%