Painting On Fondant

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm by indydebi

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

I made my grandsons first bday cake today. If you look in my photos (if its there yet) it is the sports themed one. I made the balls earlier in the week to allow them to dry. 3 days before the party I painted them with wilton color. The paint never dried. What do you all use to paint on fondant so it dries.

Thanks Mindy

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe thinning it with vodka would help? But that again might change the shade. How about dusts dilluted in alcohol or airbrush colors?

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 7

I've used the paste colors with and without vodka to paint with. They've always dried for me. I use Americolor but that shouldn't matter.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 7

I just made a tree stump cake (will post picture in a couple of hours after I deliver it). I squirted some brown (Cake Craft brand) in a styrofoam cup, added enought water to get it as thin as I needed and painted it on. It was almost dry in a couple of hours, when I left the shop, and was completely dry this morning.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 7

I used Wilton right out of the container.. It never dried I will try all the suggestions you all mentioned thanks you

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

Straight Wilton colors can take a week or more to dry...at least they have for me. Another idea would be to use a food color marker or, if it's a piece that absolutely won't be eaten, like part of a topper, use a Crayola marker because it's so much cheaper.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

I just posted the tree stump cake, if anyone wants to take a peek and see my paint job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%