Calling All Pastry Chefs!

Decorating By annieliz Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 11:44am by bakery_chick

annieliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieliz Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 17

Hello fellow CCer's. I have a special request for those of you that are pastry chefs or work somewhere and hire pastry chefs or kitchen staff.

Just a lil background to help understand my question: My plant just recently closed due to the economy. As soon as they found out that they were closing they were able to acquire a TAA certification. That certification is allowing me to go back to school for 2 years and I've chosen to go for baking and pastry arts. To qualify for TAA I have to complete a packet which requires me to talk to people who are already in said field and ask them a few questions related to that field.

I've had lots of trouble getting ahold of somebody with enough time or want to help me out. I would assume it's mostly because I'm trying to talk to them at their place of employment.

Would any of you be willing to help me?

Please and thank you.

16 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 17

I'll help you. I do the pastries for a nursing care facility in Ohio. If you want to talk over the phone I'll pm you my phone number or we can talk through email.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 17

TAA TRA just paid for my schooling. Good luck if any questions just ask.

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 17

I'm not a pastry "chef" but I do hire kitchen staff. If I can help, I'm happy to. Just email me.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm not a pastry "chef" but I do hire kitchen staff. If I can help, I'm happy to. Just email me.

LOLOL She's a Chef she's just trying to hide it. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 17

Just a gramma who likes to cook and bake! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 17

indydebi = chef (cooks homemade elegant food)

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:09am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

TAA TRA just paid for my schooling. Good luck if any questions just ask.

Mike

Well, you're very lucky. I had access to TAA money and asked to use it on pastry school and my Dept. of Labor would not authorize it. She said it was because the pastry degree wouldn't be likely to qualify me for jobs that I wasn't qualified for anyway. She said restaurants/bakeries, etc., want to hire people with experience, and they don't really care if you have a culinary degree. I thought that was pretty narrow minded, but I didn't pursue it. I just started my cake business without it.

Too bad, too, because there was a terrific 16 week pastry arts program in Portland, OR that I REALLY wanted to do. I didn't have the $9000 to do it myself. Sigh...

annieliz Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you all for being so helpful. I knew I should've come here first lol I spent the last few months calling different places trying to get the answers. Just shows how great the people are here on CC.

annieliz Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 17

I still need two more people.........somebody? ................anybody? Pretty Please? I'll beg lol

TIA

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 17

What is TAA?

annieliz Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 17

TAA=Trade Adjustment Assistance

It's a certification that my company got just before it closed that will pay for me to go to school for up to 2 years

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieliz

TAA=Trade Adjustment Assistance

It's a certification that my company got just before it closed that will pay for me to go to school for up to 2 years

Thanks I've never heard of this before but Good Luck!!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:37am
post #14 of 17

Indydebi,

Hate to disagree with you, but Chef is chief in French and means you are the chief of a kitchen Since you are head of your kitchen, you are by definition the chef. I'd go so far as to say you are the executive chef of your establishment, since you also do all the business stuff. You also have a lot of knowledge which you share--another aspect of being a good chef is being willing to teach those under you.

If it quacks like a duck...

annieliz Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 17

ok I promise this is the last time I'm gonna bother you guys with this but I just need 2 more people that would or could hire kitchen staff

pretty please

tia

annieliz Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 17

ok I lied icon_biggrin.gif I just need one more person that would or could hire kitchen staff

TIA

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #17 of 17

I am out in California but you are welcome to call.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%