Fondant Trouble

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 2:57am by kickasscakes

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there!

I am having trouble with fondant... Been practicing a lot, but I find as I am rolling it out, it looks like it is peeling up in places, then when I am applying it, I find it tears and buckles at the bottom. Any tips?

7 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 8

Well, I'll take the first guess icon_lol.gif . You possibly are not kneading it enough. Fondant needs to be "softened" and conditioned before use - especially home made fondant. I make MFF a lot, and there is a huge difference in the texture of cold fondant and well-kneadeded fondant. Purchased fondant isn't quite as dramatic, but it will tear rather than stretch if "cold". You also may need to work in a little shortening (or even a smidge or glycerin or water, but try shortening first) as you knead - it may be too dry from too much cornstarch or PS.....

kickasscakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 8

I kneaded it for a good 5-10 min, with lots of shortening...

ibmoser Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 8

What recipe or brand are you using?

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 8

Are you using a premade fondant like SATIN ICE or CHOCO PAN or did you make some from scratch? That makes a difference in determining what may have gone wrong. I would also suggest kneading it for 5-7 minutes to soften it up. Ever since I started using SATIN ICE, I haven't had any problems with cracking or tearing. If you have kneaded it to long, you may need to knead in a little shortening or give it a quick zap in the microwave, I've found that helps too.

kickasscakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 8

I am using Glacier Rolled Fondant. That is what I can find locally.

ibmoser Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 8

I'm not familiar with Glacier icon_redface.gif . Commercially prepared fondant is usually pretty stable. Did you work in a lot of corn starch or ps while you were working to roll it out? After you have kneaded it well, if you grab a "handful" and pull it away from the main mass, does it crumble and break away or does it stretch a bit as you pull? Does that make sense?

kickasscakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 8

it is not overly stretchy...I have always thought although I have never used marshmallow fondant, it looks like marshmallow in texture. Also, when I have tried to roll it, it cracks, has seams in the ball, that no MATTER what I cannot get out... It is really frustrating. Need to try satin ice. It is available in colored only, at my local supply shop. If you want white, you need to order Glacier.... Hmmm. The store says they have never had any trouble with it... So maybe it is just me?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%