Could Someone Help Me Please

Decorating By partiesbydonna Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 7:27am by JanH

partiesbydonna Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 8

I am meant to be making a 3 tier wedding cake on Pillars but the cake will be sponge the sizes are 10" 8" and 6" and I am really worried that as it is sponge the cake will collapse and it will be a VERY big disater can anyone help me with any ideas etc please

7 replies
kokopuff Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 8

Sponge cakes are usually more sturdy.That's what they recomend you use for carved cakes because they hold up better.I wouldn't think you would have a problem using it for a wedding cake but I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info. for you.Good luck!

partiesbydonna Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 8

thank you for your reply, I thought it would be too much weight for the bottom sponge as there will be 6 pillars plus the 2 cakes that will be on 12mm boards, I just really do not want to have a disater

Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 8

as long as use, the correct supports within the bottom two cakes, I see no reason why you should have disaster x

partiesbydonna Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 8

What cake supports would you recomend ?

kokopuff Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 8

You still need to use dowel rods.I normally use the wilton plastic ones,just because they are bigger and I have better luck cutting them straighter.You can go to and it shows you the proper way to assemble a pillared cake.Sorry I don't know how to post links but it would be found in the wedding cakes section.

sweetneice Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 8

the sps system is great! I have had less worries using this system. Theres a sticky note in the topics section on it. Leah_s hipped us to it and I've never looked back since! Good Luck!

JanH Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:27am
post #8 of 8

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

The above super thread has links to cake assembly help. One link takes you to illustrated cake support systems with complete directions. Also has posts and sticky from leah_s on SPS - and so much more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%