Tall Hat Cake Question

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm by butterfly831915

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 3

Making a tall hat cake. I've got 3 (3-layer) 10" rounds which will be stacked on top of each other. I'll put each 3-layer 10" round cake on a cardboard base. I'll support with 1/4" dowels between all layers. My question is, what are people using between each cake tier... Are people adding a layer of buttercream to the top of the base cake before adding the next cake? (Seems like it would look better served with a layer of buttercream on top of the serving.) And, if I add the buttercream to the top, cut my dowels and insert, should I put something on top of the buttercream before adding the next cake with cardboard base - (Powdered sugar, coconut or wax paper?) - so that the cardboard lifts off easily? TIA!

2 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 3

I can't say that my method is the correct way of doing it, but, what I do is put bc on the top of the cake, then cut my support dowels to just above the surface then put the cake board with the next layer on top of that. I have no idea if it comes off easily or not, no one has said yet, but I give it that 1/8" or so of space to help. It's also easy to fill in around the edges with more frosting to make it seemless.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 3

You could use a ring of parchment or wax paper between if you are worried about it or use the cling press and seal wrap and cover your boards in that.

I am in no way a pro but this is what I have been told myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%