Best Buttercream Frosting For Stacked Cakes?

Baking By malene541 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 8:05pm by delisa01

malene541 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 3

I seem to have problems with my buttercream pushing out my marshmallow fondant where it's torted. I now use a very thin layer of filling thinking I had too much and it was the problem but that hasn't helped much. I also don't know if my problem is that I'm using marshmallow fondant vs. normal fondant which I'm not a fan of.
After I tort and frost my cakes I place them in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes. I also use the "3D" cake recipe from cake central that uses sourcream and instant pudding mix, so the cake seems pretty stable.
I don't live in a humid area and I think I'm rolling out the fondant thick enough. ??? Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a lot, Malene

2 replies
brincess_b Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:07am
post #2 of 3

so you are getting a bulge from the filling oozing out? sounds like your filling needs to be thicker, and/ or you should think about using a damn of super thick bc round the edge.

what support are you using for your cakes - by stacked i assume you mean tiered, and if your support system isnt strong enough, i means the cake is supporting the weight - which it cant reaslly do, so the filling will bulge.

delisa01 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 3

I think you need to let your cakes settle several hours to overnight. Then you can fix the buldges before you cover with MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%