Who Hates Chocolate Cake?????

Baking By Ladybug78 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm by grandmom

Ladybug78 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 18

I can't stand DH chocolate cake. I feel like such "wack" baker when it comes to chocolate cake-I can't stand it. Does anyone have any suggestions for DH chocolate cake, I only need 6 for part of a baby shower order and I just tossed out a whole greasy, batch. Help please!!!!

17 replies
Teekakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 18

The "Darn Good Chocolate Cake" is the best chocolate cake IMO! You can find it in the recipe files right here at CC. thumbs_up.gif

briannastreats Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 18

I agree with you: I don't like chocolate cake either! It's strange, I know! The only thing I can think of is to add chocolate chips into your batter before you bake it, that seems to help for me. If I have to make it for a party I'll be going to (cuz then I know I'll HAVE to eat a piece) I add the choc chips... It tastes better to me and I can at least get through a piece of the cake...Otherwise, I do not eat choc cake.

As for it being greasy... I have no idea how to help with that... sorry! I hope somebody has some great ideas for you though!

Doug Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 18

I use DH all the time:

I sub whole milk for water & butter for oil

I doctor (blend of extender and enhancer recipes) it with 8 oz sour cream (full fat -- not low or non fat!), 1/2 pkg choco pudding, about 2-3 TBS extra cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark) , extra egg, 2 cups extra mix (instead of 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar), 1 to 2 tsp of instant coffee (add to milk and dissolve fully -- add 1-2 TBS for a mocha flavor), and 1-2 tsp of vanilla.

for total chocolate overload I throw in one pkg of mini choco chips (add to dry mix to coat them first so less likely to sink to bottom of cake) and I have also at times used Hershey's Special Dark syrup to further boost the flavor (I just give the bottle one big squeeze -- no measuring)

makes a moist, dense, not greasy cake.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #5 of 18

Do U have to use a box mix? I have some really good recipes , but my cakes are from scratch, so I dont know if U want to make them that way, but they are really good and moist. Will U be carving any of these cakes?

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

I use DH all the time:

I sub whole milk for water & butter for oil

I doctor (blend of extender and enhancer recipes) it with 8 oz sour cream (full fat -- not low or non fat!), 1/2 pkg choco pudding, about 2-3 TBS extra cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark) , extra egg, 2 cups extra mix (instead of 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar), 1 to 2 tsp of instant coffee (add to milk and dissolve fully -- add 1-2 TBS for a mocha flavor), and 1-2 tsp of vanilla.

for total chocolate overload I throw in one pkg of mini choco chips (add to dry mix to coat them first so less likely to sink to bottom of cake) and I have also at times used Hershey's Special Dark syrup to further boost the flavor (I just give the bottle one big squeeze -- no measuring)

makes a moist, dense, not greasy cake.




I think I just felt my teeth melt. icon_razz.gif

beckycrocker Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 18

I use the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe i found on this website. Everyone always raves about it!! I've filled them with peanut butter filling, bc, choc bc, and the choc syrup frosting(also from this website) and everyone always loves it!! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #8 of 18

I love eating it but hate the dam crumbs...ahhhhhhhhhhh crumb coat hell haha

Ruth0209 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:32am
post #9 of 18

Yep, the crumbs suck. I don't hate it but it's my least favorite flavor of cake. But I do love chocolate ganache. That's what saves a chocolate cake for me.

grandmom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:05am
post #10 of 18

Not me!!! I LOVE chocolate cake, if it's flavorful, moist and dense. Mmmmm. I particularly love the Chocolate WASC. I had NO luck at all with Darn Good Chocolate Cake. It was still so Darn jiggly I burned it up trying to get the Darn cake done! Had to throw it out.

My favorite non-decorated chocolate cake is that old church dinner/family reunion standby, the Chocolate Sheath Cake. Never have understood what "Sheath" means, but now that's a Darn Good Chocolate Cake!!

Bunsen Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:52am
post #11 of 18

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think you've gone too far this time... I've never seen a more offensive thread in my whole time on Cake Central... Shame on you all!


Chocolate cake has been very good to me over the years and I won't hear a bad word said about it!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Not me!!! I LOVE chocolate cake, if it's flavorful, moist and dense. Mmmmm. I particularly love the Chocolate WASC. I had NO luck at all with Darn Good Chocolate Cake. It was still so Darn jiggly I burned it up trying to get the Darn cake done! Had to throw it out.

My favorite non-decorated chocolate cake is that old church dinner/family reunion standby, the Chocolate Sheath Cake. Never have understood what "Sheath" means, but now that's a Darn Good Chocolate Cake!!




I have never hear of a chocolate sheath cake, but being an avid chocoholic, would love to try it. Do U have the recipe and if so would U pm or e-mail it to me?? ([email protected])
Thanks

grandmom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 18

Sweet_Treats_1,

I will gladly email it. It's so rich and dense and yummy. Be sure to ice it while it's still hot!

Doug Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Sweet_Treats_1,

I will gladly email it. It's so rich and dense and yummy. Be sure to ice it while it's still hot!




no no...


share with us all...

post here please and submit to the recipe files on CC!]

PLEASE!!!!!

grandmom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #15 of 18

Ok then!

Doug Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 18

T H A N K

Y O U

! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

grandmom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #17 of 18

Just as an added note, this cake batter is not beaten. It's all mixed in the saucepan with your spoon or spatula.

grandmom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 18

Doug, it's the least I can do! You have a solution to almost every problem, and that contract....!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%