photojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
photojo Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:45am
post #1 of 28

How do I put the charms in the cake?

27 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 28

They don't actually go "in" the cake. I placed mine on the board and then the cake on top. The charms were wrapped (to keep them clean and food safe) with a ribbon attached. The bridesmaids then pulled the ribbons and unwrapped their charm right before the cutting cermony. HTH

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 28

I've never heard of this! is it a new thing??

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 28

For my older sisters wedding the decorator placed them between the layers of the cake, with the filling. It looked like he had just pushed them into the cake. Sorry not much help. Make sure they know which bridesmaid gets what charm, they did include a name on them. I go the wishbone. That was seven years ago and it has been in my car since on the mirror. (Still waiting for it to work though)

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 28

Here is a very pretty one done by a baker in the next town over from me. I've never heard of it before until I saw her photo - it's such a cute idea!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1300702.html

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

Make sure they know which bridesmaid gets what charm, they did include a name on them.

Actually it's meant to be a "luck of the draw" kind of thing... the bride isn't supposed to assign a charm to each bridesmaid, but rather they each draw one at random (although traditionally they all pull them out in unison) and whatever they get is their fortune for the future.

I place them under the bottom of the cake with the ribbons trailing out on the board.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 28

At my sisters wedding they were pushed into the slice of cake before it was served.

photojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
photojo Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #8 of 28

Thanks for all the help icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 28

i have done this several times.. i do it like jlynnw and pinkziab.... it is luck of the draw in the ones i did.. sometimes the bride furnishes them. sometimes i furnish them and add it to the charge of the cake..

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #10 of 28

I did one last year. I just pushed the charms into the cake at even intervals. The bride purchased specific charms for her bridesmaids, so I put very tiny initials on the attached bows so that each girl would pull out the charm meant for her. The initials were impossible to see without looking very closely, so they did not detract from the overall look of the cake. A picture of the cake is attached.
LL

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #11 of 28

i've never heard of this either. can someone explain? are they just little charms that the bride gives to bridesmaids as gifts?? do they go in the actual wedding cake or do the bridesmaids get their own special cake? color me curious! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #13 of 28

thanks!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #14 of 28

Sometimes brides request that the charms be inserted under the top tier of the wedding cake, and have their attendants choose and pull the charms out right before or after the cake cutting.

Wouldn't it be cool if they made charms like these for groomsmen, that could be inserted in a groom's cake?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #15 of 28

I just finished making my first wedding charm cake! The cake I made was a 3 tier stacked cake. I placed the charms with a ribbon attached on the cake board for the middle tier and placed the cake on top of them. Frosted and applied fondant. I typed out a short description of what each charm meant (to be read as each charm is removed).

dkfhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkfhunt Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #16 of 28

Has anyone ever done this with cupcakes? I am wanting to do cupcakes for a bridesmaid's luncheon and don't know how/where to put the charms --- the cupcakes will do on a tiered cupcake stand.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #17 of 28

welcome to CC!

I would think that you would place the charm and set a cupcake on it. When they select the cuppie they will pull the charm out. Option 2 would be to do a small tier on top with cuppies on the lower tiers. Please post a pic or at least a post of how you did it!

cassiopeia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiopeia Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 28

That is the cutest idea ever! I have never heard of this charm thing before but I love it. Just wish I knew someone getting married.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 28

I saw this one a couple months ago and fell in love with it...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-29145.html

maybe if you ask her she might tell you how she did it... i would sure love to know myself.

HTH, good luck!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #20 of 28

I seem to remember seeing this done with a bunt cake once. there is the hole in the center and the charms were tied to ribbons and placed in the hole with the ribbon tales hanging down the sides of the cake. it was very pretty.

I thing they used fresh flowers to decorate the top of the cake. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #21 of 28

ok, I found it. Martha never fails to come through for me when I need her.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/good-things/charm-cake

you could definitely decorate this more, frost it or cover with fondant and this could be the top tier if you wanted to do a tiered cake.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #22 of 28

Twenty-seven years ago my best friend's Mother had a cake made for her Bridal Luncheon that was a charm cake. The charms were placed between the layers with ribbon pulls. It was luck of the draw. Each charm signified something different. Ring for the next to be married, horsehoe for luck, etc. It was the first and only time I ever heard of a charm cake. It is the only thing I remember about the wedding.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:25am
post #23 of 28

It's a more southern tradition - like the groom's cake. It is very popular here in SE Missouri. The charms are the luck of the draw. You can find them at Hallmark stores, websites or ebay. I always push mine into the cake after it is completed decorated with the ribbons hanging down for the girls to pull. Once the cake is placed on a pretty cake plate it lets the ribbons hang loosely/dangle.

They are fun and the girls love them. I made one a few weeks ago for a friends daughter who was an attendant in a wedding in St. Louis and she surprised the bride with it at the bridal luncheon and they all loved it - and none of the St. Louisians had ever heard of one.

Suze

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #24 of 28

This might be a d.u.m.b question but wouldn't the charms get all covered in icing/cake crumbs? - then they'd have to wipe them off/clean them and their hands?? Or do you put them in little plastic baggies or something?? icon_smile.gif Sorry...but this is a great idea - I love it!

Suzycakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #25 of 28

Well - all the ones I have seen pulled do have icing and sometimes cake on them -- but most of the bridesmaids don't think twice about popping them in their mouths and cleaning them off!!LOL!! Now some will use a napkin. I do wash (sanitize) my charms very well and let them dry before I insert them in the cake - just to be safe!!

It is fun - the cake for my daughters bridesmaid luncheon in September (made by someone else the hostesses wouldn't let me make it!icon_sad.gif ) - most of the girls had pulled their charms when my son's girlfriend pulled hers - and she got the wedding bells and turned bright red and said "Oh Lordy!! Now What?!!!" She is a sophomore in college - he is a senior and this is their first relationship that's been going on for about a year now - and she was more worried about what my son would think than anything!!LOL!! But the girls can get pretty giggly about them!

Google 'wedding cake charms' and you will find some great sites with lots of different ideas.

Suze

Suze

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #26 of 28

HA! I forgot about popping them in your mouth!! icon_smile.gif That totally makes sense! - duh! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the fun ideas!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #27 of 28

Where can we buy the charms...

Suzycakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #28 of 28

Like my earlier post said - google 'wedding cake charms' - and you will find a lot of sources, or check your local hallmark store or ebay always has them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%