Seriously Need Help With This!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 5:37am by yamber82

yamber82 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:06am
post #1 of 8

i have a few customers that always find their designs from pinkcakebox which has some absolutely stunning adn flawless cakes, however, i am a newbie and CANNOT seem to get my cakes nearly as neat looking as theirs icon_sad.gif i just finished my 2nd toprsy turvey and thougth this time around would go better but it has not. the first time i followed the tutorial on here. i covered each tier in fondant and then afterwards i cut out the part fot the next tier. i think the things i did wrong with this cake was that i didn't trim around the edges and i put too thick a coat of bc under the fondant. that was also my first cake for a customer (she knew of course and i didn't charge much) well this time it was actually for the same lady. i assured her i have had much more experience since then and i have. well this time i decided to carve out the top part BEFORE covering each tier in fondant and i think that was a really bad idea. i also used the wilton fondant this time thinking it would be easier. needless to say i have gotton so used to mmf i forgot how crappy the wilton fondant is icon_sad.gif well i am about to post the pic of the cake, but i am not at all pleased with how the shape turned out. i was so disapointed after i covered them and stacked the tiers. why can't i get it right? how do you guys do it?

7 replies
jillangel Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 8

Wow. I just looked at your cakes and they are freakin awesome! Don't even know what to tell you because they look perfect to me. I know we can be hard on ourselves as decorators we see things that others don't but even looking for flaws I'm not seeing them icon_biggrin.gif

jillangel Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 8

Wow. I just looked at your cakes and they are freakin awesome! Don't even know what to tell you because they look perfect to me. I know we can be hard on ourselves as decorators we see things that others don't but even looking for flaws I'm not seeing them icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 8

With what you've written,

An idea for you is to make a test topsy turvy and take your time and if you don't get it right~bake another one!

Otherwise you need to be more specific--what went wrong--or what do you need to improve.

If it's just that elusive mental image of what I want to achieve compared to what I actually produce--only time will fix that--maybe some therapy icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

why can't i get it right? how do you guys do it?

BRAPPPPPPP <-- loud annoying wrong question buzzer sound!

not "why" -- but...

WHEN?

----

easy answer -- when you practice more.

heck -- even the pro's have their off days
even the pro's still have to practice

----

and there is no such thing as PERFECT this side of heaven!

the PROs are PROficient -- NOT perfect -- they just make it look easy after many years of ...

PRACTICE! (and recovery from their disasters)

chin up -- and.....(see siggy)

kitcae Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

Practice! Your cakes are great! I always practice my cakes if they are going somewhere outside of my house! You have your talents and others have theirs~(don't give up!)

prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 8

What are you talking about???? That cake looks awesome!

yamber82 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #8 of 8

you guys are really encouraging icon_smile.gif i am such a perfectionist when it comes to my cakes.

i was really pleased with the decorations but the shape was not so great. i don't know what i did wrong here. i think it's just the covering them in fondant part aht i have such a hard time with. i can't get that little ridge of cake to stay in place.

so when doin gtt, do you carve then cover in fondant or cover in fondant then carve, in regards to the little cutout for the next tier to sit on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%