Silver Finish For "mixing Bowl"?? Need An Answer A

Decorating By catlharper Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm by Makeitmemorable

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake to do next week that is a mixing bowl...like the ones we use with a kitchenaid mixer? I do not have an airbrush, can't seem to find spray in silver so is there any other way around not having to handpaint this with luster dust and vodka? Or do I just have to suck it up and go for it? Yup, looking for a shortcut. The finish is buttercream, btw. Don't know if that makes it easier or harder? If it makes it harder then I may, indeed, go the mmf route. Please Please Please advise? I SO want what is in my head to end up on the board!

thanx!
Cat

5 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 6

You can color your fondant gray to start then make a mixture of silver highlighter dust and vodka and paint it on

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

Without an airbrush, there's not really any way to metallicize buttercream. Use gray fondant and then paint it with the lusterdust paint.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:49am
post #4 of 6

It won't really be as bad as you think, esp. if you start w/the gray fondant as suggested. Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 6

Also, paint it with silver airbrush color with a big soft brush.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 6

This is a cake I made which was covered in grey fondant and then I rubbed my silver dust into the fondant. If I paint it on it is too silver, if I rub it into the fondant, it gives it a steel effect.

I would do it with fondant rather than BC, it will be easier to colour.

Good luck,
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%