Silver Finish For "mixing Bowl"?? Need An Answer A

Decorating By catlharper Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm by Makeitmemorable

catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake to do next week that is a mixing bowl...like the ones we use with a kitchenaid mixer? I do not have an airbrush, can't seem to find spray in silver so is there any other way around not having to handpaint this with luster dust and vodka? Or do I just have to suck it up and go for it? Yup, looking for a shortcut. The finish is buttercream, btw. Don't know if that makes it easier or harder? If it makes it harder then I may, indeed, go the mmf route. Please Please Please advise? I SO want what is in my head to end up on the board!

thanx!
Cat

5 replies
MnSnow Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 6

You can color your fondant gray to start then make a mixture of silver highlighter dust and vodka and paint it on

prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

Without an airbrush, there's not really any way to metallicize buttercream. Use gray fondant and then paint it with the lusterdust paint.

ceshell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:49am
post #4 of 6

It won't really be as bad as you think, esp. if you start w/the gray fondant as suggested. Good luck!

Rylan Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 6

Also, paint it with silver airbrush color with a big soft brush.

Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 6

This is a cake I made which was covered in grey fondant and then I rubbed my silver dust into the fondant. If I paint it on it is too silver, if I rub it into the fondant, it gives it a steel effect.

I would do it with fondant rather than BC, it will be easier to colour.

Good luck,
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%