Edible 3D People

Decorating By Hishoelle Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm by korensmommy

Hishoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hishoelle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'm going to be doing a cake for a person in my office who is moving back home. The plan is to make a cake in the shape of Canada with her sitting on top knitting a scarf that goes all the way from B.C. to Ontario. This will be my first time making an edible 3D person and I'm wondering if I would be best to use modeling chocolate, fondant, gum paste, marzipan or something else. Can anyone please give me some suggestions?
Thanks so much for your help!

4 replies
brendabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendabaker Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 5

I've made 3D figures/people out of gumpaste and fondant . To me the only difference was the gumpaste dried faster ! They are both easy to work with and making figurines are so much fun. Sorry the reply is late coming, I haven't been in the forum for a while. Hope the comment helps.... brendabaker

Hishoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hishoelle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Brenda,

Thanks so much for the info. I still have a couple weeks before I have to do the actual finished product, so you comment came in plenty of time.
The info helps me out a lot. I appreciate any help I can get!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 5

I agree. Gumpaste is a good medium for people modeling. It gives you enough time to form the shapes without drying out on you. You could also use fondant with tylose mixed in. but be careful that its not too soft, or the people will start to sag from the weight. have fun! Guests always get a hoot out of characters.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 5

Since you have a few weeks, you could use fondant with Tylose - that should give it time to dry. I use MMF w/Tylose and it's at least 80% humidity down here and my pieces dry within 10-14 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%