Help! How Do I Fix This?

Decorating By jess2523 Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 1:58am by dandelion56602

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 5

So I'm making a four tier wedding cake. I have all the tiers frosted but not stacked and I leave them to go out to dinner. I come home to a large chunk of cake having fallen of the top layer of my bottom tier. Apparently there was a crack in that layer and the bottom layer couldn't hold that part up and it fell off. I just tried patching the hole with straight up frosting, but now all that frosting is pulling away from the cake and creating the same hole all over again. How do I patch this?? I've thought about scraping off that big glob of frosting and just icing the cake as is and turning that dented in part to the back....help me, please. Thanks so much in advance.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 5

Do you have time to rebake? I know that's a terrible question, but there's no such thing as too perfect for a wedding cake...I'd be worried that the bottom tier would be too weak and would do something bad to the supports.

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 5

I totally understand and I would normally rather rebake and have it perfect, but this is not a paid cake, and I already have so much time and money into this. I'm also 7 months pregnant and have two kids upstairs sleeping that I would have to wake and drag to the store. So, I guess that's my long way of saying I can't justify rebaking this one layer. I don't think it's going to cause any support issues, I'm using SPS and the part that cracked off is on the edge of the layer.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 5

Can you cover it with decorations? I had same problem on a smaller cake and it was almost impossible to patch it. I rebaked mine.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #5 of 5

Do you still have the chunk of cake that fell off? If so, put some buttercream in the "hole" and put the cake back on top of it & then crumb coat & ice. If not, you'll have a chunk out if the buttercream isn't staying in place & you aren't rebaking. Are you covering in fondant? Is it heavily decorated? If so, distract w/ decorations, flowers or something else

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%