How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By chelseak Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 3:14am by Rocketgirl899

chelseak Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #1 of 9

Customer wants this cake, two tier strawberry shortcake. I am new to this business and I KNOW I have been undercharging. I am one of those wimpy people that get nervous when quoting a price icon_sad.gif The party is Oct 13th. She sent me the pic, not sure where it's from. TIA!
LL
LL

8 replies
kelleym Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 9

A cake like that with that skill level is worth $5/serving, minimum.

Lita829 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 9

What a beautiful cake!! It all depends on the size of the cake and how many it serves. I also tend to underprice but that cake has a lot of fondant detailing. I'd go no less than $125.

chelseak Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 9

Sorry I should have said she wants it to be about 20 servings...

cylstrial Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Sorry I should have said she wants it to be about 20 servings...

You might go over the number of servings she wants. Cute cake!

prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

Honestly, that's a licensed character, so legally, you cannot sell a Strawberry Shortcake (the character) cake.

kelleym Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 9

The Strawberry Shortcake figurine looks like a bought plastic toy to me, so I think it's a perfect example of what we're always telling people to do: decorate to the theme, then add a plastic toy. Nobody's copyright gets violated. Without the toy it's just a cute strawberry-themed cake. thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

The Strawberry Shortcake figurine looks like a bought plastic toy to me, so I think it's a perfect example of what we're always telling people to do: decorate to the theme, then add a plastic toy. Nobody's copyright gets violated. Without the toy it's just a cute strawberry-themed cake. thumbs_up.gif

Well, that is true. icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #9 of 9

I think $5 a serving sounds good.. maybe even $6.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%