Need Help Asap - Working On This Now!!

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm by suzie1962

suzie1962 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone: I am making a wedding cake/cupcakes for tomorrow and I am making the frosting now. I can't for the life of me figure out how much to make. When I look at frosting charts, it shows and amount of frosting for a particular cake size. Is that for one layer, so then I need to double everything? Then, when I look in The Cake Bible, there is a recipe for buttercream that makes 14 cups and it says its enough to frost a 3 tier cake for 150!!! I am going crazy!!

Here are my sizes:

(1) 9 x 13 - double layer
(1) 9" round - double layer
(10) 12" round - triple layer
(150) cupcakes

can anyone help me figure out how many cups of frosting I need? Please????

I am in the middle of this now and need help!!!

TIA.

9 replies
shelli72 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 10

Wish I could help, but I am so bad at figuring it out. Sorry

DanaG21 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 10

I use the Cake Bible and it never seems to make enough for me. I always double what she suggests. Plus depending on how you are putting your frosting on your cupcakes - it seems like if you use a piping bag it takes A LOT more frosting so you may want to keep that in mind. You may want to start with the one for 14 cups and go from there. It also is going to depend on how thick you put on your BC. Sorry not much help.

HamSquad Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 10

Hi,
Are you looking on the web at Wilton Cake Baking and Serving Guide.
That is for 2-layer 4 inch high cakes. 9" x 13"= 5 cups frosting, I would say 6 to 7 cups. Again this chart is for 2-layers. I make my frosting by 2lb ps bag batches. 1bag for cakes over 10" and 1/2 bag for 8" and smaller.
Not sure about the cupcakes, depending on how you plan to decorate. 1 batch may be needed
HTH
Hammy

suzie1962 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks, that helps alot.

terrig007 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I use the Cake Bible and it never seems to make enough for me. I always double what she suggests. Plus depending on how you are putting your frosting on your cupcakes - it seems like if you use a piping bag it takes A LOT more frosting so you may want to keep that in mind. You may want to start with the one for 14 cups and go from there. It also is going to depend on how thick you put on your BC. Sorry not much help.

I agree about the Cake Bible-sometimes I triple her recipes. HTH

GottaLuvCake Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #7 of 10

I always estimate mine before i start baking, I have a great 32 C giant bowl from Tupperware and i mix all of my icing and store it in that bowl so I am ready to rock. sounds like you are in for a long night starting now for a wedding tomorrow.
The chart i use says and then i add extra! I do not like to run out of icing once i start.
6 C for double layer 2inch pan 9x13
4-1/2 C for double layer 2inch pan 9"
6 C for double layer 2 inch pan 12"

GOOD LUCK!

suzie1962 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I have enough. I didn't just start with the project, just the frosting. The baking is all done and I will fill and frost tomorrow. Wedding is in the afternoon. I can't really get it done tonight because of refrigeration issues.

GottaLuvCake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:52am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie1962

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I have enough. I didn't just start with the project, just the frosting. The baking is all done and I will fill and frost tomorrow. Wedding is in the afternoon. I can't really get it done tonight because of refrigeration issues.

WE WANT TO SEE PICS!!! LOVE THE PICS

suzie1962 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 10

I will post pics soon. I am waiting for the photographer to send me some photos. If I don't get some soon, I will use the pictures I took with my crummy little camera.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%