Chocolate Plastique / Plastic

Baking By lynndy-lou Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 9:16am by auzzi

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 16

Hello People, I need to find out what I can use as a substitute for cocoa butter in the recioe for chocolate plastique as I am having difficulty finding it in the UK. Or does anyone have any idea what else I can cover a 3 tier wedding cake with that is chocolate I am adding cigarellos around 2 of the tiers and after eight mints on the other. It also cant be refrigerated. Thanks in advance.

15 replies
lynndy-lou Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:56am
post #2 of 16

Looks like I'm on my own with this one! nobody wants to help me icon_sad.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:02am
post #3 of 16

remember this is a mainly us board - and they are still in bed!
you could make or buy chocolate fondant. have a look in the squires kitchen shop site.
xx

lynndy-lou Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:51am
post #4 of 16

lol I did post this last night when they were awake. I really dont like the taste of chocolate fondant and the bride doesnt either. Would like to do ganache but arent able to refridgerate.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 16

what is chocolate plastique ?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 16

how long is the cake going to sit out? I've made ganashe and left it outside the fridge overnight. It was perfect and yummy the next day.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 16

Ganache can be kept out of the fridge for at least a week, just make sure you boil the cream when you make it.

lynndy-lou Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 16

ctirella Chocolate plastique is a roll out icing made from chocolate, syrup and cocoa butter.
Bunsen how long do you boil the cream for? Ganache is the easier option and the cheaper one compared to plastique.

Bunsen Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynndy-lou

Bunsen how long do you boil the cream for?

Bring it up to the boil then remove from the heat as it begins to rise up the pan, no need to keep it boiling!

lynndy-lou Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:55am
post #10 of 16

If I go with the plasique does anyone know a substitute for the cocoa butter as its a difficult thing to find here?

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 16

hi,
chocolate plastique (or modelling chocolate) is just made with melted chocolate and corn syrup here in the usa...no cocoa butter.
perhaps you could just forgo the cocoa butter?
i have a recipe if you need one.

diane

lynndy-lou Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #12 of 16

Recipe would be great thanks, we dont have corn syrup here but I can use golden syrup or glucose syrup. Any tips would be great.
Thanks,
Lynne

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 16

Here is a quote taken from Chef Talk "According to many baking/cooking sites, corn syrup outside the United States is called glucose syrup. That is not exactly right.

Although corn syrup is a glucose syrup, glucose syrup is not always corn syrup. They can be interchanged in some recipes BUT they can/do react differently.

In the United States, Legislators allow domestic food manufacturers to call glucose syrup "Corn syrup" because the source of the starch is almost exclusively from maize.

In other parts of the world, wheat, barley, tapioca, potato, rice, cassava, arrowroot, sago and maize starches are used to produce glucose syrup. The generic term of glucose syrup is used except when the originating material must be specified. Australian glucose syrup [liquid glucose] comes from wheat.

They all are aqueous solutions of several compounds, principally glucose, dextrose and maltose in various proportions.

Glucose syrup tends to be a thick syrup. Various ones can contain glucose levels up to 98%.

Corn syrup [US] is a thinner syrup. Old fashioned Corn Syrup contain high levels of glucose with some other sugars present.

The equivalence of 1/2 cup corn syrup plus 3 Tbs. water to 1/2 cup glucose plus 1/4 cup water produces the same results [usually].

FYI:-

Modern corn syrups contain between 15-98% glucose with other types of sugar. One source quoted some as low as 6-11% glucose content.

HFCS [High Fructose Corn Syrup] contains 42-55% fructose. While Fructose Glucose Syrup contains 20-40% fructose, it refers to American High Fructose Corn Syrup product for export overseas.

The 90-95% fructose corn syrup is becoming more common in beverages, canned fruits, confectionery products and dessert syrups.

I wonder when the labelling laws will kick in, and call a spade a spade.

I checked the Karo website:
Karo Light corn syrup: Light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla.
Karo Dark corn syrup: Dark corn syrup, refiners syrup [cane sugar syrup], caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate, caramel color.

Bunsen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks for posting that Tiggy2 - I have had trouble trying to follow US recipes using Australian glucose syrup, now I know why!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #15 of 16

You're welcome!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:16am
post #16 of 16

Since I posted that reply on the other web site in 2006, a few things have changed.

Quote:
Quote:

Australian glucose syrup [liquid glucose] comes from wheat.

With the growing awareness of food-allergies, liquid glucose manufacturers that sold to the public, eg Queen, changed their source from wheat to corn. Liquid glucose used in industry generally remained sourced from wheat. The strength and generally density didn't change - just where it was derived.

With the advent of more scientific testing, it is now found that the material is so highly refined that the source [allergen-wise] does not matter - so now, it is quite possible that you will come across both sources.

Also, US corn syrup is available [not generally] but if you hunt around, you possibly will fine some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%