Question Re: Gumpaste Mix

Decorating By moxey2000 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm by CakeJediChic

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have some powdered gumpaste mix. I've never made gumpaste and the directions on the bag are a little vague. What consistency is desirable when the mix is first made? Should it be soft and then it gets stiff as it sits? I made it by the directions and it seems a little too runny to me, but I'm afraid to add more mix without knowing what it'll be like after it sits. The package says to grease it lightly, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and let sit for 24 hours. I did all that. Also, can I use it before 24 hours?

Thanks for any help you can provide icon_smile.gif .

PS: I searched the forums, but I got lots of responses that don't apply to my question. Not sure what's up with the search feature.

4 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know the brand you are using, I've only made the Wilton gumpaste mix, but it definitely needed to sit for the recommended time - it is too soft until it rests.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I don't know the brand you are using, I've only made the Wilton gumpaste mix, but it definitely needed to sit for the recommended time - it is too soft until it rests.

Right! thumbs_up.gif
No. You should not use the mix for the allotted time as it will be too sticky to handle.

It sounds to me as if you are using a different brand since Wilton comes in a can... and you make up the whole mix, but I'd say you need to allow it to settle fully and then determine if it is worth using. You want a rather stiff ball of gumpaste to start with, then by kneading it will become softer and easier to use.

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 5

i bought a bag of gum paste powder and it gave me directions on how much water to add. but that didn't work. so the next time I did it I just put the water aside and added it a tbsp at a time. i mixed it little by little until it was a ball. and then i went ahead and needed it and let it rest. I didn't use all the water that the directions said. it was about 1/3 less than that.

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

I just made a batch using CK brand gumpaste and ended up using about 3/4 tbsp more than directed. It came out great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%