My Ganache Isn't Setting Up

Decorating By SweetMelissa2007 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm by jardot22

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 4

I am fairly new to ganache and this is the first time I have tried milk chocolate ganache. It doesn't seem to be setting up-it's rather runny. Is this normal for milk chocolate ganache or am I being impatient? I made one that was 3/4 milk and 1/4 bittersweet chocolate and that has set up but not the all milk choc. I made the mixture one first so I don't know if I'm just being impatient or if it's not going to set up at all!! I don't want to put it on my cake if it won't set on the cake!! Any help would be appreciated!

TIA, Melissa

3 replies
jardot22 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

How long have you been waiting for it to set up? Also, what ratio did you use of cream to milk chocolate?

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 4

I used a 2:1 ratio but I just checked it and it is already a little thicker than it was when I posted. I was just being impatient!! Do you recommend pouring with it a little warmer or slightly thicker/cooler?

jardot22 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

If you want to pour it on, a warmer/thinner consistency would be better. If you want to ice the cake in the ganache, you will want to let it set for a long time until it is the consistency of peanut butter. Then you can ice the cake in it like you would buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%