Stupid Question....

Decorating By nancoo Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm by nancoo

nancoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancoo Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new at all this cake stuff so please don't judge me with my questions... WHAT IS GUMPASTE dunce.gif !!?? LOL Whats the difference between that and fondant?
Thanx for your help icon_confused.gif

5 replies
kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 6

Gum paste is basically pastillage with gum tragacanth added, allowing more time to work before it hardens. It dries fairly rigid. Gum paste is pretty versatile and is stronger than Fondant. It can be rolled very thin, and used for making flowers or molded into figurines, trees, and animals. Fondant is usually tastier and softer, and usually used more for covering cakes, but can be used for some decor as well.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 6

There is no such thing as a stupid question, we all have to start somewhere right? Hehe.

Gumpaste dries hard fairly quick and holds is shape--that being said, it is great for making figures and accents to your cake. Fondant in the other hand doesn't dry out as fast as gumpaste, making it a great medium to cover cakes. Fondant will dry out but it may take days or even weeks, depending on how it is used.

Good luck.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #4 of 6

To me, gumpaste is just fondant that dries hard. icon_biggrin.gif

Of course there is more to it that that, gumpaste is almost like gum in texture, very stretchy and can be rolled really thin. It dries very, very quickly, so much so that you must cover it immediately unless you are ready for your creations to be dry. It makes wonderful, life-like flowers.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 6

If you want to get some ideas on what you can do with gumpaste as far as making flowers and things there are a lot of tutorials on youtube that are great. Just go to www.youtube.com and type cake decorating tips in the search box. I like Tonedna. Her tutorial on roses is fantastic.

nancoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancoo Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 6

Thanx so much...... I'm off to the store to get some icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%