Question Regarding Making Letters With Clay Extruder

Decorating By peony421 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm by grandmom

peony421 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 3

I'm still experimenting with cake decorating and am making a cake for my friend's daughter's 3rd birthday next weekend. I love the letters that are show in the below attached cake and asked previously and the consensus was they were made with a clay extruder. I have one of those and want to start making my decorations ahead of time. For these letters and the decorations for that matter would you mix the fondant with gumpaste? I've decorated only with fondant to fondant, but just wanted to see what people think of that. When I made my son's cake I made the decorations a few days before and placed them on cookie sheets with wax paper. They held up well. But I want to try ribbon roses now too and those are 3 demensional. I would appreciate any input. I'll be using satin ice fondant and gumpaste.

2 replies
tiggy2 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 3

If they are going flat on the cake straight fondant will fine. However, if you make them ahead of time and they dry you wont be able to get the curve of the cake when you apply them.

grandmom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 3

I made up a method for preshaping items that go against the curved cake. I get some styrofoam rounds the diameter of the tier, enough to cut in half and stack to the approximate height of the tier. I stake the rounds together with skewers, cut off the excess, then cover in a layer of Press N Seal.

I lay the stacked rounds over on the cut flat side, making the stack look like a half circle standing up. I make my gumpaste or fondant decorations on the curve and leave them there to dry. I may have to keep them in place by fencing them in with toothpicks. I can't get too many on each stack because just the top-most part of the curve is usable, so I usually set up at least two stacks.

Once the top side of the item is dry, I remove it from the styrofoam and turn it over to dry the bottom elsewhere.

Works for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%