Boards For Stacked Cake Tiers

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 3:19am by indydebi

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 11

Iâve only done a few stacked cakes and I find that the cardboard cake boards get all greasy and soggy. What to you use for your cake boards for your tiers? Iâve thought about using foam core, but what do you cover it with? When I cover boards with my cake foil I use tape and I donât want tape touching the tier below. Looking for other options. Thanks

10 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 11

Easiest is to use cling film - tape the start (only to hold it in place) and overlap it. Cling film really clings to itself and there is no need to tape the end.

Another possibility would be contact paper.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 11

I use freezer paper on both sides, also tape it, never had any problems with tape. but the cling wrap is much faster and cheaper.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 11

I use plastic wrap as well--very easy.

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 11

Is there any reason you can't use foil?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 11

foil will tear when the cake is cut and you might get little pieces with your slice of cake....the foam core works great...I just wipe it clean before putting my cakes on it.....but if in doubt wax paper or parchment paper to cover.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 11

Well you can but sometimes when you slice it, a piece of foil might get into the cake. People sometimes use a serrated knife when cutting cakes, making it more vulnerable of getting lose pieces of foil.

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 11

Makes sense. Thanks for the explaination.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyTex

Iâve only done a few stacked cakes and I find that the cardboard cake boards get all greasy and soggy. What to you use for your cake boards for your tiers? Iâve thought about using foam core, but what do you cover it with? When I cover boards with my cake foil I use tape and I donât want tape touching the tier below. Looking for other options. Thanks

Between tiers foamcore doesn't have to be covered.

I am waiting to hear from a new supplier of foam core cake boards that have a styrene covering [fda approved]. They sent me sample to evaluate and I was very happy with them.

Just as soon as they are in production, I will post the info for everyone.

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 11

Personally, I don't think tuffboards can be beat. They are 100% moisture and grease proof, and 100% durable. I order them from www.tuffboardcakeboards.com/ I don't have any relationship to the company. I'm just a satisfied customer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #11 of 11

what cardboards are you using that get soggy? (and when you say soggy, I envision something you can wad up like a paper towel). I use cardboards from my cake supply shop designed to go with cakes, I don't cover them with anything, I cut most of my cakes, and the boards ... while damp with moisture from the cake .... are not "soggy". If you're having an excessive problem, use the wax lined ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%