Logo Opinion Please...

Business By k_dub Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 2:12am by CanadianChick

k_dub Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 25

I'm going through the steps....

- I've formed my LLC with my name The Cake Station
- I have a place to bake
- I'm getting insurance quotes

I've been struggling with a logo though. I've had a friend helping me and between the two of us this is currently what seems to be a favorite.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

Oh - and do you think I need a tag line? If so...suggestions please..

24 replies
cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 25

I like it! It's very cute!!

cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 25

For your tagline - maybe something like, "Don't forget to stop for cake". To kind of play with the station and stops, etc.

kara76 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 25

The design is good. I love the cake but the colors throw me off. They seem more like "football team" instead of delicious cake shop. That's just an opinion of course! If you LOVE it go for it!

tx_cupcake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 25

I'm assuming it's supposed to look like the "Mind The Gap" logo? I think that's a cool idea! The cake on the logo kind of looks awkward, though. The original logo is cool because of its simplicity, and sticking a cake on it just doesn't look right. Perhaps instead of the cake, you could just add a tagline like cylstrial suggested. Maybe "Mind the Crumbs". LOL!

Good luck!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

G_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 25

Maybe shrink the cake part of the logo down and use it in place of the letter A in the word cake.

Also for a tag line perhaps you could use something like the last stop you'll need to make for sweet's a Cake... corny I know but I am sure you can tweek it up.

Good Luck

Spuddysmom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 25
Originally Posted by txcupcake

I'm assuming it's supposed to look like the "Mind The Gap" logo? I think that's a cool idea! The cake on the logo kind of looks awkward, though. The original logo is cool because of its simplicity, and sticking a cake on it just doesn't look right. Perhaps instead of the cake, you could just add a tagline like cylstrial suggested. Maybe "Mind the Crumbs". LOL!

Good luck!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Don't know about that tagline, but agree with the cake not looking "right" with the other part of logo. What exactly are you going for with your logo? Is this a reference reflecting a subway/light rail station stop? Am I totally off? Where are you located?

k_dub Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 25

Nope you are right...it is suppose to conjur the thought of a train stop sign - or subway sign.

I'm in a suburb of Dallas. The train theme doesn't really go with my town - it's more of a theme that my family enjoys and we thought it'd be different from other bakery themes.

We were thinking in the future when we can get a shop - there was a lot we could do with the "station" concept.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 25

I like the name and the tosy cake, but I don't like the rest. It looks too harsh and uninviting. I just don't see wlecome to my great cakes.

miss_sweetstory Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 25

As a regular rider of the Tube, I LOVE the idea. I originally thought "Mind the Icing", but I think I like txcupcake's "Mind the Crumbs" better.

I think the cake graphic is too angular for the logo. Perhaps you could experiment with a graphic composed of more straight lines.

Keep us posted!

ClancyJane Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 25

I love the concept! But, I agree that the cake graphic doesn't really seem to go with the rest of the logo...it almost looks like it was added as an afterthought. And I'm not loving the colors...but I think that also has something to do with the cake graphic, more of the "it doesn't seem to flow" together. Maybe you could ghost an image of a cake into the circle, or turn the circle into cake or cupcake top? As for a tag line, maybe something along the lines of "The Cake Station, your one stop for cake sensations."

Just my opinion of course! But as kara76 said, if you LOVE it and it conveys the message you want it to, then go for it!

G_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 25

ClancyJane I love your tag line!

k_dub Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 25

I love the tag line ideas....I'm going to have to pick one of them....

Here is a different logo that she did (and I didn't mess with...LOL). I really like it and the feel of it I just don't know if it'd be hard to use in print, etc.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 25

Oooo, now THAT I likey!

Clovers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 25

Yeah the second one FOR SURE! The first one I don't like at all. It is very harsh, the colours are too cold and the idea for it being related to transit isn't coming through.

The second one seems classier, colours are better and has more appeal to me. I love the look of all things 'olde'. The only thing I would change, again is the cake logo. I think it's the colour - maybe a very light off white/beige instead of that yellow?

And, if it were me, I would change the train graphic to be an old steam engine train, but that's just me.

megmarie Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 25

I am with Clovers &I believe it will print well too.

MelissaMay Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #17 of 25

I agree with clovers, I love the second one, I still think the cake part needs "something" I think it is still too angular, maybe something more in line with the old fashioned feel??? to match the train? Love the idea!

dandelion56602 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #18 of 25

The 2nd BY FAR! I think a maybe a pic of a depot instead of a train might be more appealing. Something about the shiney silver train seemed too much. I think the font says "old train" so I feel the train is a repeat of that. Maybe some scroll work on the cake would make it seem softer & fit w/ the logo. It's like the cake it "modern" and the logo is "old fashioned". I don't mean old fashioned in a bad way but they don't seem like they're of the same genre.

Clovers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #19 of 25

Yes, dandelion is saying what I was thinking. The cake has a different feel than the rest of the logo. Maybe a more old school looking cake? (i.e. not topsy turvy, not with swirls?) Or perhaps take the cake away from where it is, put it where the train is and give it an olde feel. Then it would almost feel like a logo. Because the train idea comes across as it is - it reminds me of an old sign you would see outside of an old saloon style train/coach station.

-Tubbs Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #20 of 25

I also like the olde fashioned one better than the London Tube one. But I also feel that the cake doesn't quite work. Maybe it's the colours...? I will look again and see if I can figure out what's bothering me.

Ok, back. I think it doesn't work because of the train AND the cake in the same device. To me it's distracting to the eye, and you need to have either the train, or the cake, but not both.

cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #21 of 25

I like the 2nd logo better too!

Polkadot79 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #22 of 25

The 1st one's colors are just not doing it for me...the second one looks classier.

Spuddysmom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #23 of 25

Yes, the second is great, but change/lose the cake. You could certainly have a lot of fun with this theme in your shoppe!

veronica720 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:36am
post #24 of 25

I also love the second one. I didn't get the first one and I also live near Dallas.

The only thing with the second is the train kind of throws me. Maybe the steam engine would be nice.

Good luck

CanadianChick Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #25 of 25

neither of them.

the topsy cake in both cakes truly looks to me like you took some random microsoft clip art and stuck it in place. It doesn't work. The cartoony style doesn't fit, the size doesn't fit, the look is wrong with both. And what about when topsys are no longer fashionable (may that happen soon, please FSM)? Then it will look out of place AND dated.

the first one is just too obvious a copy of the british tube signs...maybe that sort of thing works for some people, but I think it's totally the wrong image for someone trying to show how creative they are. And while I think "mind the crumbs" is hilarious, it will probably be lost on people who don't share the cultural referent, which is probably most of your potential customer base.

the second one is better with the train image, but that WILL NOT WORK in black and white or in a smaller size. Do you want this logo for business cards, adverts, stationery, bags, stickers and the hundred other brand-display opportunities available to you, or don't you?

Lose the clipart cake. Turn that photo of a train into a stylized B&W image in an Art Deco mode to sort of match the font you've chosen (although I'd unkitch the font too...). Lose the old-timey background - it doesn't match the more arte-moderne train design in the photo at all, or the font.

OR, go completely cutesy with it. I like "Cake Station" as a name..you ust need to have a COHESIVE look to your logo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%