Wedding Cake Woes

Decorating By SistersBaker Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 12:46pm by SistersBaker

SistersBaker Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 7

icon_smile.gif Good morning everyone, I am fairly new here. I do have some minimal decorating skills, and my sister has recruted me to make her wedding cake for January wedding. She wants a three teir square cake with purple fondant and silver white snowflakes. I would like any advise on this, i do not know if i have to support the layers? how do i make the snowflakes or do i just buy them?

please any help would be so great!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 7

Hi and welcome!

Yes, your cake will need support. You'll need a cake board for each tier and dowels in the layer underneath. Cake is pretty heavy, especially square cakes, and especially cakes with fondant.

For the snowflakes, you can buy them premade...I have seen at least one website that sells them...or you can make your own. The best way to cut out snowflakes is with scrapbook punches. Get several different designs and sizes and roll your fondant very thin, then just punch them out like you would paper, and let them dry. Then paint them with silver luster dust.

Square cakes are a little tricky to cover with fondant. If you can, it would be good to make a couple for practice (not the whole wedding cake, and doesn't have to be a huge tier either) before the big day.

grama_j Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 7

For me, personally, square cakes and fondant are a nightmare ! I find it MUCH easier to use butter cream.... you can get it VERY smooth if you use the suggestions from those on these boards...

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 7

Go to the cake store and buy a couple square cake dummies, some piping gel and a box of that gawd-awful Wilton fondant (use a coupon at michaels for the fondant.) Then go home, lightly sand the edges of the dummies, coat with a thin layer of piping gel and cover the dummies. Then remove and do again. And again. This is called practice and it cannot be substituted!! This will also get your confidence level up. That's a great place to start anyway. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 7

And don't forget to keep coming back to CC - you will learn a lot! Everyone on here is so helpful!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 7

And remember, when doing square cakes, always do the corners first! icon_biggrin.gif

SistersBaker Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 7

THANKS so much for all the advise so far, its these things i need to know, will start practicing this weekend!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%