You Can Call Me Crazy-But I Want It Sweet & Need Your He

Baking By melrae1 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 7:24pm by melrae1

melrae1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:18am
post #1 of 12

Ok I need some opinions from people who like their buttercream sweet!! I am still a newbie, but I have made probably 10 different batches of BC. Some I've used exact recipes on here, some I've added and taken away flavors due to personal preference and experimenting. I've used Crisco, Hi Ratio Shortening, Crisco/Butter, etc. They've all been good, but I feel like they're all missing something! I love icing, to me it's the best part on the cake!! Maybe it's a southern thing, lol, but besides my hubby and dad everyone, including myself, thinks the BC needs to be sweeter! I have always added 2 lbs powdered sugar. I've searched and searched on here and the only thing I could find is BC that's not so sweet. Everyone has their personal taste and preference, mine is sweet!! So any advice would greatly help me. I might be crazy and have to much of sweet tooth! icon_eek.gif I have thought a/b just adding more powdered sugar, but I don't want to make it to thick or mess up the crusting. I've also thought a/b trying some different things to sweeten it up, but I thought I would ask on here first to see if anyone can give me some tips or suggestions!! I would greatly appreciate some help! Thank you!!!!

11 replies
Melnick Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:46am
post #2 of 12

I like sweet buttercream too. The recipe I use is - 250g butter, 2 1/2 cups icing sugar and 1/4 milk. If you want it to be a bit more crusting, then use 125g butter, 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. Just beat your butter until it's as white as possible, then add half the icing sugar and milk, combine and add the rest of the icing sugar. Delicious! I think the second one might be slightly sweeter.

SugarFrosted Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 12

Which flavorings are you adding? Plain vanilla does not taste as "sweet" to me as the flavor combo I prefer to use - equal parts Almond, Butter and Vanilla flavorings. Perhaps you just need a flavor adjustment. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 12

Adding salt makes it taste less sweet, so make certain you have none in there. If you use butter, make it unsalted.

prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 12

Really? icon_confused.gif The Wilton/American butter/crisco + PS "buttercream" is tooth-achingly sweet to me. Maybe try pairing it with a less-sweet cake and it will taste sweeter?

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 12

So glad to see this post!!! icon_razz.gif I, too, cannot seem to find a "sweet enough" icing. ... It's pretty much just ME though. Except for my mom, everyone else tends to prefer something less sweet, like IMBC or Buttercream Dream which I got from this site. thumbs_up.gif

[Melnick ~ I look forward to trying yours! Thanks for sharing!]

matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 12

I'm with sugar frosted. I use butter in my frosting and add a little almond with the vanilla. The combo ends up being butter/almond/vanilla. Also, I can't remember the last time I didn't use sprinkle sugar on the top of a cake. Customers think it's magic.

moxey2000 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

Have you tried Indydebi's buttercream? The recipe is on CC. It uses less Crisco to 2lbs of PS, plus you add powered, dry Dream Whip. I think this recipe is sweet and delicious! I've found that reducing the Dream Whip from 3 tablespoons to 2 makes it seem a little less sweet.

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 12

if you go through a lot of icing by it by the bucket at Sam's's delicious and it's VERY sweet!!

Oh and if you have to make your own..........go for stuff with no crisco in it.....I think the crisco coats your pallet making it harder for you to taste the sweetness.

7yyrt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 12

I was thinking... perhaps add a little granulated sugar near the end of mixing? That would give you the crystals to melt on your tongue. Might make it taste sweeter.

Skirt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 12

You could use coffee flavorings instead of vanilla, etc. The Torani White Chocolate syrup gives me cavities just by looking at it...
Also, if you use coffee mate, it sweetens things up. Something like the French Vanilla. Also, if you used the powder and mixed it yourself, it could even sweeter.
OK, now I have to go brush my teeth...

melrae1 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 12

oh my goodness! thank you so much to everyone that has posted a reply on this. i haven't been on in a few days. i'm thinking i might need to add some extra flavorings. my family and a few friends are my "go to" on tasting and they all have great intentions, and tell me it's good, and then later say there is an after taste in all the buttercreams i've made. so i thought it was the flavoring. some don't like almond, some say it's not sweet enough (of course lol) the most thing i've heard is the vanilla has a strong after taste. so i've tried to not add as much, and i think that might be my problem. so give me your opinion please, could it be that the local lady who made all scratch cakes and homemade icing went out of business about 5 yrs ago, so my family has been getting most of there b-day cakes from oh no...the dreaded walmart i'm thinking they are just used to tasting a pre-made instead of homemade? could that be it? i personally like the taste of walmarts buttercream, and have thought a/b going to sams and buying what they sell if i do start going through alot. i'm just frustrated as a newbie and trying to please everyone i guess. icon_cry.gif in my opinion the buttercream has tasted good, and i've tried several other bakeries buttercream and it has the same vanilla/almond flavors!! i just want a good icing that everyone seems to love. haha!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%